size - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default size

i would like to get my 12 year old daughter a better computer than what she has now. she is using an old core duo HP, that is a hand me down from my son 3 years ago. at this point, she does not need anything super hi tech. but she has (rightfully so) complained about it being s l o w . i saw this @ newegg, Dell Optiplex 7010 USFF - Intel Core i5-3470S 2.9GHz, 4GB 320GB, Intel HD Graphics - Windows 7 Pro 64bit Installed - Wall Mount Included-Newegg.com
which looks pretty good, and is in my price range. but because of the form factor, i am concerned about adding a graphics card. do they make one that would fit into a computer like this? she would not need a super duty card any time soon. none of the games she plays are sophisticated. but what she will want to do in the next 5 years, is still a mystery. if this is to small, what is the smallest case size i could expect to fit a decent card into be?

Old 06-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: size

That computer is USFF and doesn't even have a PCI-E slot for a graphics card. The smallest is SFF which requires a low profile card. If you think she will ever game at all I'd try to avoid any of those small machines.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

thanks, i have not physically seen one of those, and trying to judge size by 2d pictures over the internet is impossible. is that the same size as a NUK then? or are they smaller still?
Old 06-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

USFF is bigger than a NUC. Look at it this way, it's only slightly wider than a laptop disc drive.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

W O W ! !