Sims 3 Processor Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzanne_x

Beta member
We've just bought a new computer to enable us to play Sims 3, but also because our old computer was completely broken and would have cost 100s to fix.

Buy ACER ASX3200/9100 | Desktop pc - Specification | Comet

Most of the requirements are more than right for Sims to run, but the processor is a lot lower than the recommended one. It's got a 1.8GHz processor and Sims requires a 2.4GHz one...

I've noticed while playing that the computer often freezes in the middle of game play; I'm guessing because of the slow processor?

So I have two questions;
Can you get additional processing for a computer?
How much is it likely to cost to get as much as I need?

Thanks!

can you run cpuz and tell us what motherboard that computer comes with?
CPUID

I know it runs a phenom but want to see what would be available for upgrades for you.

I would say to upgrade the processor, and look into buying a cheap video card, otherwise sims might just lag, even with the upgraded processor.

We've just bought a new computer to enable us to play Sims 3, but also because our old computer was completely broken and would have cost 100s to fix.

Buy ACER ASX3200/9100 | Desktop pc - Specification | Comet

Most of the requirements are more than right for Sims to run, but the processor is a lot lower than the recommended one. It's got a 1.8GHz processor and Sims requires a 2.4GHz one...

I've noticed while playing that the computer often freezes in the middle of game play; I'm guessing because of the slow processor?

So I have two questions;
Can you get additional processing for a computer?
How much is it likely to cost to get as much as I need?

Thanks!

The CPU is good enough, its a Phenom X4 9100, which is meh at best; but it can run the game. (its probably not the cause of your freeze) Even though its is only 1.8ghz, the clock speed doesn't matter, it only did in the whole P4 Era, and the requirements are a P4 @ 2.4ghz, which you exceed greatly

The GPU while good enough, needs a heavy upgrade.. I'd recommend at least an HD 4670

The problem is not the CPU, it is the video card.....or lack there of.

How "new" is this computer? Can you still return it instead of spending all this money upgrading a new computer? We say this over and over here.....but if you would build one yourself you wouldn't be having these problems. Most pre-builts are not for gaming. ESPECIALLY in the sub-$700 category.

GeForce 8200 onboard graphics.

There's your problem, just as dhgunit said. Your PSU is only 220W, so you would have to replace it if you want to get a decent video card.

Geforce 8200? Yeah, that's what is killing you. Like Trotter said, you'll need a new video card and a new power supply to boot.

Pricewise for the upgrade you'd be looking at something like:
Newegg.com - Apollo AP-HD4670 256MB Radeon HD 4670 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Sunbeam PSU-BKS-480-US 480W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies

On the lower end. So not terribly expensive. The PSU isn't the best but you're sounding like you've got fairly basic power needs and obviously you won't be overclocking or running a ton of other hardware so there's no reason this wouldn't be a good choice.

How comfortable would you be installing these components? Obviously we're happy to assist you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom