simple question on my gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokawild69

Baseband Member
hi everyone
i'm in the process of building my own gaming rig and i had a couple of questions to ask to make sure im doing everything right.
my first question is about the PSU. Is it dangerous to have a psu with high wattage and the system not need all of that power. im currently looking at a 650w psu but now thinking about bumping it up to 750w because im thinking of hooking up two graphics cards and running them together. Not only that but i also have a "few" fans that will be running as well, in total about 6-9
my second question is what kind of sound card should i put into my system. during the process of me putting this machine together i forgot all about the sound card and quite frankly im not sure what to get.

thanx for the help and the specs for my system are at the bottom

specs:

mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

graphics card: XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity

PSU: XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

hdd: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

You putting a 750W in there will not harm a thing. You'll be perfectly fine. It will leave you for better upgrade ability in the future.

I use onboard audio. IMO, unless you're an audiophile, I see no real reason to have an aftermarket sound card. Then again, I have never had one, so I don't know the benefits/drawbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom