Signs of a failing Hard drive/Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophet

In Runtime
I have the feeling either my Processor or Hard drive is dieing on me. It can load windows fine but takes forever for icons and programs to loadup and run. Even after my desktop loads, it takes twice as long as it used to to load programs and games. I havent bothered playing any games on my comp because it has a hard time installing the games. I plan on talking to a techie tomorrow but while i am here i figured i might as well ask if anyone here has experienced this type of problem before.

maybe its time to do a clean install first... then do a Prime95 stress test...

I have the feeling either my Processor or Hard drive is dieing on me. It can load windows fine but takes forever for icons and programs to loadup and run. Even after my desktop loads, it takes twice as long as it used to to load programs and games. I havent bothered playing any games on my comp because it has a hard time installing the games. I plan on talking to a techie tomorrow but while i am here i figured i might as well ask if anyone here has experienced this type of problem before.

Yes I know just what you are talking about. First of all, what are your specs? That might help lol. I'm guessing you've probably installed a lot of programs which are starting up when windows boots, so maybe consider uninstalling any excessive stuff you don't use then running a disk defragmentor. Also you could buy more RAM, thats usually a good way to speed up a slow system especially if you've got less than a gig.

It's also possible you got a virus or multiple viruses, in which case you might want to consider reinstalling windows because it's hard to fix the damage of a virus. I learned that the hard way.

It would help a lot for you to post your specs tho....

i probably should have said this at the start, but its a clean install. Started to slow down before i even turned on my modem, so no virus. I have itunes and one game installed...thats it. It started to slow down shortly after i reformatted, i transfered a lot of files over to my external so maybe that much use stressed it out too much? My specs are a P4 3.0ghz. ASRock mb, IDE 160 gb HD, 2 gb cheap ram.

it is your hardrive. sometimes when they get older they just don't quite spin up to there full speed... And take longer and longer until evntually they fail.

Lol I had a Maxtor fail on me. I still love them though.

I worked for a school district that ordered exclusively from dell and for the longest time had maxtor drives in them. Over 3.5 years i replace probably 150+ maxtor drives, maybe 5 WD's and 2-3 seagates. I'll never own a maxtor drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom