Sick Of My Old E6850

Status
Not open for further replies.

zythyl

In Runtime
I want to get rid of my old CPU as it's starting to choke on high performance games and tasks so I'm looking for a new one...

Are there any good CPU's to go for for games? AFAIK my current one was good for it's time (about a year ago) and I should look into quads now.

Are there any good quads out under the $500AUSD optimised for gaming?

Thanks.

What are you going on abot the E6850 is a brilliant processor. Most games are utilised for single core utilisation so updating to quad won't help your gaming performance. What graphics cards and ram are you using? Have you tried to overclock I wouldn't really say that 3ghz was a bottleneck unless you have sli GTX2*0 cards then you will want to overclock to the 3.6ghz the E6850 can attain. If you want a faster rig then I7 would be best but I sus[ect you haven't unlocked the true potential of your current pc.

On my performance monitor when I'm running Prince of Persia my CPU is running at 80-99% - I see that as a bottleneck.

I have a 260GTX, 4GB 800MHz RAM and Vista 64-bit.

Give that baby a overclock if you have not yet. I would not spend any money on a new 775 chip. I would save the money for a i7 build. Of course that would mean cpu, mb and ram.

I have no idea how to overclock... I have an old 6600 lurking around somewhere should I blow the dust off that?

No the E6850 will be faster then the E6600, the E6600 only gets to 3.2-3.4ghz and is a year and a bit older then the E6850 I would sell the E6600 if its just gathering dust. In no way "theroretically" should it be bottlenecking its more likely to vista and its dynamic processing ensuring that your cpu is not wasting resources. I suspect you have some spyware with two many background processes, how many background processes do you have on bootup?

To overclock you will need a cooler and for us to reccomend a cooler we need to know what case you have.

Mainly device apps such as Creative / Realtek / FRAPS / nVidia...

Also, would the Q9550 be a worthy upgrade?

The Q9450 if your considering it as it overclocks just aswell for a cheaper price. I meant processes go to task manager then the processes tab and read off the number in the bottom left. Do you have a good antivirus and spyware protector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom