Should I wait for the Conroe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelManual

Baseband Member
Well, I've finally picked out the parts, and am fully read to purchase my new PC; however, now I have to decide whether to wait for the conroe to come out and everything to lower in price. Also, when the C comes out, I can then find out which mobos will fully support it for when I upgrade 2-3 years in the future.

I just cannot decide; grab the kick-*** gaming system and have it setup before thursday, or wait until August 5th or so to be using it.

Will there be That dramatic of a drop in pricing?

Supposedly AMD is droping their prices pretty substantial. Do a search in TF for it. There's been a few thread on this subject already... IMO I would wait for the price drop and go with AMD and wait to see the fog clear over the Conroe...

Conroe should be out before August 1st, that is if everything goes according to plan.

As Nukem said, wait for Conroe to be released, wait for the remaining AM2's to be released, see where the prices are at, see how each model compares against eachother, and then make your decision.

It's not just a matter of price. Until the CPUs actually come out, I wouldn't believe all of the pre-release testing touting Conroe as an AMD-killer. After release, look at the prices and decide what CPU will be best for your machine.

And shortly thereafter, I am sure that some TF member will post some results on their brand-spanking-new Conroe CPU. :D :D

I would say wait, you dont have to wait for conroe exactly. But AMD is making some HUGE price cuts so that alone enough waiting for not just conroe.

I'm hoping the price cuts will be deep enough that I can talk my wife into letting me splurge a bit.

Trotter said:
I'm hoping the price cuts will be deep enough that I can talk my wife into letting me splurge a bit.

Or you can buy it w/o her knowing.

I'd be careful about that. She might decide to buy a little something without you knowing.

I know I'm going to wait, but that's mainly because I don't have any money as of yet. Also I want to see how the production Conroes perform compared to anything on AM2.

NathanM said:
I'd be careful about that. She might decide to buy a little something without you knowing.

Yeah you don't want to go drop a grand and a half on a new system to find out your wife dropped a grand and a half on new furniture or something.

Two reasons to wait: Prices cuts on both sides, better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom