Should I wait? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 01:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 68
Default Should I wait?

This year in May, i was going to build a pc with a 4200 X2, 2gb of ram and a 7800gt

But now this Conroe is coming out and i'm thinking if i should wait for it and then also bag me some ddr2. So the major question is should i wait for this cpu and see how it goes against am2? Also will the Conroe work with vista fine? And will this cpu be relativly future proof for a while?


Curry Viking is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 01:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 46

if u are already waiting until may, another month or two wont hurt you and youll get to see the performance of the two new platforms

id say wait, but thats just me

Panther is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
TonCrafter's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 879

I'd wait as well. Infact, I'm planning my first build and have decided to wait.
Abit IP35 Pro
Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz
2gig Crucial Ballistix Ram
PC Power & Cooling 510
2.33ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro
TonCrafter is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,124

Definately wait , its tuff but it will be worth it
Thermaltake Armor A90
Corsair HX1000W PS
i7 2600k / Cooler Master Hyper N 520
Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3
8 GIG Corsair Vengeance
eVGA GTX 570
SB Audigy2 Platinum
Kingston Hyper X120 SSD
WIN 7 - 64b
LG Blue Ray Super Multi Burrner
Logitech THX Z560
3x120mm - 1x200 mm case fans
Cappy is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,475

I'm waiting for the AMD K8L Quad core before I get a new one.
turtile is offline  
Old 03-09-2006, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,306
Send a message via AIM to Brtnboarder495

Definitely wait.

If you want Conroe, you have to wait for the 965 chipset, which won't be released until July at the earliest.

If you want future AMD CPUs, you'll have to wait for Socket AM2, which won't be released to June.

Bottom Line: If you want to build, you should wait till the summer unless for some reason it's urgent.

Brtnboarder495 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.