Should I use EVGA step-up? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2006, 01:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Waphlez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio, United States
Posts: 1,976
Default Should I use EVGA step-up?

Ok, I am planning on finalizing my build at least till July 24 or whenever AMD is going to drop their CPU prices. No, I am not going to get conroe because that would mean I would have to buy a new mobo and RAM. I currently have a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR w/ a crappy Sempron that my dad got to hold me over till I can upgrade, I am also using some crappy PCI video card because my mobo doesn't have integrated. I also already bought my 2GB of DDR400.

But since I am going to buy my new CPU and Video Card on or after when AMD drops thier prices (which is around late July) I was thinking. I was originally going to buy
But then I remembered that EVGA has their 90 day step-up program, so now I think I am going to this EVGA 7950 GX2 and I think it would be smart to buy that (can't use Newegg because EVGA doesn't have it under their step-up program) then get the G80 which is scheduled to be released this September. I have no doubt that the best G80 will cost 600 bucks at the minimum so I would not be wasting my cash on this.

The reason I am thinking about getting the 7950 is because my new monitor can support 2048 x 1538 @ 85hz, and I would like to play games at that resolution plus being able to totally rape any game's graphics.

I think I will probably buy them at the beginning of August which means I will have the step-up program till the end of October. Of course I will keep on top of G80 news so if it isn't going to be released by October I will probably just wait till the release date is in my 90-day reach. Now if I do this I would then have to suffer being without a video card for a short period of time (possibly two weeks, eek!)

So far there is only one risk about this, if Nvidia pushed the G80 past the 90-day period that my Step-Up program has I would be doomed and I would probably just sell it on Ebay, or just take it like a man and just stick with it untill nvidia release's their "G81" or 8900 GTX then buy that or possibly get what ATI's R600 brings to the table.

The reason I am thinking about this is mainly so I can get a good video card without waiting a couple of months to get G80 and not waste any cash during the process. Really even if G80 gets pushed back I wouldn't really care that much as the 7950 is a beast of a card as it is and will last me a while.
__________________

Waphlez is offline  
Old 06-18-2006, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 154
Default

well, I'd say it really just depends on if you're willing to wait, you seem a bit more inclined to get the 7950 ASAP, I only suggest, that if you want to ensure that your step-up period lasts for longer than 90 days, you can simply hop lines until the release/availability of G80 for stepup, they added this function awhile ago, and you can hop queue's even after the 90 day step-up availability if you put in the initial request before the 90 days is up.
__________________

__________________
[SIZE=\"1\"][COLOR=\"Red\"]Case:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] MountainMods U2-UFO[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]PSU:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] PCP&C 1kW EPS12V[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Motherboard:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] ASUS P5NSLI[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Blue\"] (Yeah, I know!)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Processor:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Retail Core 2 Duo X6800[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Blue\"] Week 26/B2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]RAM:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Rev.2 DDR2-800[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]VGA:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 1x eVGA 7950GX2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Sound Card:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] SB X-Fi XM[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]HDD:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 2x Raptor 150GB in RAID 0/1x 500GB WD Caviar[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Optical:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Plextor DVD-R DL PX-716AL[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Speakers:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Logitech z-5500[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Fans:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 9x YL D12SM-12[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Lime\"]Water-Cooling:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] MCP355 w/AlphaCool top/PA120.3/AQX MP-05 SP LE/Silverprop Cyclone NexusSX chipset block[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
dwarf is offline  
Old 06-18-2006, 02:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Waphlez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio, United States
Posts: 1,976
Default

The reason why is because I've been waiting forever, and I decided to wait even more till AMD cuts their prices, so I really am pushing my patience as it is.
Waphlez is offline  
Old 06-18-2006, 03:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 841
Default

Well, I have a 6800GS, and I am also wanting to upgrade to an 8 series when they're released (where did you get that ETA from?). I don't know if you should make that gamble unless you get an official response from nVidia. My personal opinion is wait, but it's your money and you can do what you want.
__________________
NathanM is offline  
Old 06-18-2006, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Spartan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 814
Default

i would just wait and not take a risk on it. like u said, if the G80 comes out after the 90 day period, you will be screwed. just be a little bit more patient
Spartan is offline  
Old 06-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Waphlez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio, United States
Posts: 1,976
Default

Well I am going to have to wait till August anyway for AMD to drop their prices, and hopefully the 7950 or X1900 XT will drop even more. Well that means around 6 weeks, lets hope if Nvidia will tell a release date by then. Well if the G80's tape goes good you can expect it late Q3 this year (September) but if not expect something around November.

It's just an idea, I will have to see.
Waphlez is offline  
Old 06-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Spartan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 814
Default

i am expecting an early Octoberish release date, it doesn't really matter to me, i am not upgrading till next year
Spartan is offline  
Old 06-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
ulater6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alaska
Posts: 757
Send a message via AIM to ulater6000 Send a message via Yahoo to ulater6000
Default

I would reccomend the 7950 over the x1900 anyday.
__________________
CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Cisco CCENT, Cisco CCNA Routing & Switching
ulater6000 is offline  
Old 06-18-2006, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,191
Default

I did the eVGA step up. Traded my 7800GT in for a 7900GT KO Superclocked.

I paid them 85 bucks, and shipped my card on a Tuesday, my new card arrived on Friday. (That's right, 4 days.)

Of course thats because UPS ground takes 1 day to get from Bakersfield to Brea CA, so it may take longer depending on where you live.

I sent them the card, the box, the tv adapter, and two dvi-vga adapters. I did not send them the manual, so don't stress about it if you can't find that manual.
The General is offline  
Old 06-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Spartan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 814
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ulater6000
I would reccomend the 7950 over the x1900 anyday.
i can't see why anyone would recommend the x1900 over the 7950 anyway
__________________

Spartan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.