Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build. - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,601
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

^the biggest difference in the brands are warranty, and sometimes coolers. Don't get a factory oced one, just oc it yourself as it is very easy
__________________

__________________
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline  
Old 08-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

I opted for the Gainward 4850, but I'm worried about actually putting into my case now. Both the box and the manual recommend a 500W power supply. If I absolutely must, I'll purchase another power supply, but only if such action is imperative.
__________________

Jewels is offline  
Old 08-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,601
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

^nah, what it says is just what it recommends, you don't actually need it. you could run it on a 450vx.

What is ur psu though?
__________________
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline  
Old 08-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

450w FSP ATX-450PNF.
I know FSP is at least a more trusted brand than some no-name brand.
Jewels is offline  
Old 08-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,601
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

you should be fine.
__________________
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline  
Old 08-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

Thanks for all the help, but I'm having trouble understanding something in the manual; I've never had a graphics card requiring external power. I thought it was a simple case of plugging in a spare 6-pin power connector, but I stumble across this: "Connect the female connector of the hard disk adapter cable to the power connector on the back of the graphics card. Then attach the male connector on the cable to matching connector from your computer's power supply."
Jewels is offline  
Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,601
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

all u need to do is connect the power cable from the psu...i don't know what the **** that is talking about.
__________________
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline  
Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
DawnOfDoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 998
Send a message via MSN to DawnOfDoom Send a message via Yahoo to DawnOfDoom
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

yea just do what Luke said they over explain everything in manuals.
__________________

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
That was an epic forum speech, Doom is tech-forums very own Martin Luther King.
Don't Tell any one but I know who Crunch is...

I Do accept support requests via PM, MSN, and e-mail

If I have been helpful to you in any way please click the scale under my name
DawnOfDoom is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking to build a 'micro PC' (microATX)... been gone for a year, need help! Dr.McNinja New Systems | Building and Buying 1 07-09-2008 10:21 AM
my computer build!!! hitmanj New Systems | Building and Buying 50 06-29-2008 12:44 PM
2PCs, alpha plan for build jobmitsuo New Systems | Building and Buying 3 04-27-2008 02:31 PM
Vista activation problem Max Power Microsoft Windows and Software 11 07-12-2007 04:01 PM
GPU, upgrade now or wait? TheDiceman New Systems | Building and Buying 21 05-04-2007 05:49 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.