Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

As much as I want a 4850, I'm concerned about the heat issues and noise levels. 80C at idle seems a bit too hot, and setting the fan speed higher would make even more noise. I'd rather not have the sound of a hoover constantly running for the next year. I'm probably exaggerating things greatly, but I've never owned any graphics card even remotely high-end. I had a TNT2, and then six years later I bought a 7600GS, so I've never had to deal too much with any issues related to higher end components.
__________________

Jewels is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baron5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

well, gpus are designed to take in alot of heat so dont worry about that, they are alot different t temperatures from cpu's. i dont think the 4850 are too loud anyway.
__________________

__________________
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

baron5 is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

I'm tempted to buy this ASUS 1GB 4850. Better cooler, quieter, more memory, and decently priced considering the prices of other manufacturers and retailers. Sapphire's reference design is more expensive, and at overclockers.co.uk this version is priced at over 150. My only concern now is will this require any extra power?
Jewels is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,601
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

what 500w psu do u have? or is it just a generic one? if it is a generic one then def get a new, better one.
__________________
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 03:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

Great, upon closer inspection I find it's merely a 450w FSP ATX-450PNF. I'm not prepared to purchase a new PSU as well; I'd rather settle for a cheaper and less power hungry card.
Jewels is offline  
Old 08-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
I'm tempted to buy this ASUS 1GB 4850. Better cooler, quieter, more memory, and decently priced considering the prices of other manufacturers and retailers. Sapphire's reference design is more expensive, and at overclockers.co.uk this version is priced at over 150. My only concern now is will this require any extra power?
No, in fact the 1gb will perform worse, 256bit Interface's can't use all 1gb RAM, so you'd be better off with a normal 512mb version
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 08-03-2008, 04:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baron5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

exactly wat i was gonna say, dont waste time on buying them, i think of it like this, whos better at designing cards, ATI or the reference manufacturer?
__________________
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

baron5 is offline  
Old 08-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

Dragging this up again after a new revelation, I just want to make sure that my power supply is adequate to handle a (reference) 4850. If it is, I'll be waiting a few weeks to see how new releases affect current prices, and then I'll probably purchase one. I know I won't be getting any 55nm revision of any NVIDIA card, or any of their current cards either, so I'm set on a cheap 4850 as long as I know it won't fry my system.
Jewels is offline  
Old 08-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,601
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

yeah your psu should be enough, why would it fry your system? IF it didn't have enough power it just wouldn't work or would perform extremely bad.
__________________
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline  
Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

OK, I guess I'm decided then. Is any manufacturer preferred over another, or should I just go for whatever's the cheapest? Sapphire appears to be the most expensive.
__________________

Jewels is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking to build a 'micro PC' (microATX)... been gone for a year, need help! Dr.McNinja New Systems | Building and Buying 1 07-09-2008 10:21 AM
my computer build!!! hitmanj New Systems | Building and Buying 50 06-29-2008 12:44 PM
2PCs, alpha plan for build jobmitsuo New Systems | Building and Buying 3 04-27-2008 02:31 PM
Vista activation problem Max Power Microsoft Windows and Software 11 07-12-2007 04:01 PM
GPU, upgrade now or wait? TheDiceman New Systems | Building and Buying 21 05-04-2007 05:49 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.