Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

My current system:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
ASUS P5LD2 SE/C 945P
NVIDIA 7600GS 256MB
3072MB Corsair DDR2 667MHz
Western Digital 250GB SATA II
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-18A1H
Acer AL2016W (20") + Samsung SyncMaster 152v (15")
Windows XP Home SP3

This was back in December 2006 when I had no plans for any real gaming, as this was meant to be a temporary machine until I my "true" build. It's lasted longer than I had anticipated, so I'm deciding on whether to upgrade now (graphics card and an extra hard drive) and have it last until perhaps 2010, or wait until early next year to go all out.

My current card, as old and weak as it as, has served me relatively well when I game on my 15" due to the small 1024 x 768 resolution, and the most demanding game I currently own is KOTOR2, although framerates can dip below 10 during the more intensive battles scenes and environments.

I will be purchasing Jade Empire and Mass Effect, and other games in the near future (Starcraft II, Dragon Age: Origins, Diablo 3), and I'll want to play them at 1680 x 1050 with at least moderate framerates (I'd be happy with a fairly consistent 30 FPS). I do not play FPS games.

If I am to upgrade now, I plan to buy a 320 GB hard drive and a graphics card. I'd prefer the graphics card to be cool and quiet, and power efficient, although I'm sure my 500W should be enough. Now I don't have a specific budget, but I'm looking to see which scenario would be more worth my money. I'd rather not be impulsive and buy too much, and if these upgrades can least me a good while then it would be wiser choice than building a whole new computer next year.

I know there's the newly released ATI cards, but I've never bought a card with a dual slot cooler before (though I'm sure they're quieter and cooler). However, I have heard about their rather loud noise operation and high heat levels, and I'm not even sure I'll need that much power.
__________________

Jewels is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

I would wait and go all out. Intel's new Nehalem processors will be released in September and will be 25-50% faster than the current 45nm quad cores clock for clock.
__________________

__________________

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
S0ULphIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,668
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

Quote:
and will be 25-50% than the current 45nm
sorry, 25-50% what?
__________________
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Jumper View Post
I would wait and go all out. Intel's new Nehalem processors will be released in September and will be 25-50% than the current 45nm quad cores clock for clock.
agreed.. its going to be great.. hard for even AMD to top, hopefully Deneb does it
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
DawnOfDoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 998
Send a message via MSN to DawnOfDoom Send a message via Yahoo to DawnOfDoom
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

Nehalem is going to be a completely fresh start with a new socket and x58 boards!! cant wait to see what the GPU market is gona do with nehalem's release.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
That was an epic forum speech, Doom is tech-forums very own Martin Luther King.
Don't Tell any one but I know who Crunch is...

I Do accept support requests via PM, MSN, and e-mail

If I have been helpful to you in any way please click the scale under my name
DawnOfDoom is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 03:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

A new build was my initial plan, but I had second thoughts when I realised that my current system is still serving me well, that is until I decide to buy more demanding games. I'm guessing Dragon Age and Mass Effect are probably going to be the most demanding games I'll ever play on PC until 2010, and I'm only concerned with playable framerates at optimised settings for 1680 x 1050. If need be I'll scale back to playing at 1024 x 768 with all eye candy at maximum.

My previous system before this was a bre-built HP Athlon 850 MHz bought in the middle of 2000. It took some serious frustration before I finally caved in to get a new system. I'm just concerned with money; I don't have enough to indulge every whim.
Jewels is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 03:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baron5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

yeah, wait it out, its not worth building with sumthing like this around the corner.
__________________
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

baron5 is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK | London
Posts: 138
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

Well no I'm not building anything now or soon regardless. If I am to buy anything now or soon it will be a new graphics card and a new hard drive. It's either upgrading those two components, or waiting until next year for a whole new build.
Jewels is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
sorry, 25-50% what?
Sorry. It was supposed to be 25-50% faster.
__________________

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Old 08-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,078
Default Re: Should I upgrade now, or wait until next year for a new build.

Assuming you overclocked your cpu a new video card should make that system run pretty much anything. I would just grab a ati 4850 for now and wait to build a new system.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Now I lay my computer down to sleep, I pray the hard drive my files to keep, If I should lose power before I save, I pray the hard drive my backups to take"
The Techies' Bible - Dario 1:1
dario03 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking to build a 'micro PC' (microATX)... been gone for a year, need help! Dr.McNinja New Systems | Building and Buying 1 07-09-2008 10:21 AM
my computer build!!! hitmanj New Systems | Building and Buying 50 06-29-2008 12:44 PM
2PCs, alpha plan for build jobmitsuo New Systems | Building and Buying 3 04-27-2008 02:31 PM
Vista activation problem Max Power Microsoft Windows and Software 11 07-12-2007 04:01 PM
GPU, upgrade now or wait? TheDiceman New Systems | Building and Buying 21 05-04-2007 05:49 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.