Should I upgrade? - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #41 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 443
Send a message via AIM to Ventriac
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

Do you need a full tower???? That all depends on your preference.. Do you have room for one is the real question.. lol some of them are huge... My Thermaltake Armor+ is a gigantasarous.... If you wait you will have ample time to save for a nahalem... It's not like they are going to cost 500$! well i guess some are, but the one everyone is going to buy is going to cost 275$. Which is affordable if you don't think about the memory and mb you will need to buy in order for it to work, but thats besides the point...
__________________

__________________

CPU E8500MB Asus P5Q Pro
RamOCZ Reaper ddr2800 GPUVisiontek 4870
PSU Toughpower 700 HDD WD 640 GB
Ventriac is offline  
Old 09-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresh25 View Post
Nehalem is out of my price range unfortunately. So I'd probably more likely to buy an intel quad core. Do you think I need a full tower, right now I have a mid, and with my aftermarket cpu cooler it is cramped, I can't imagine trying to fit these new gpus in there now. so for a q6600 and a p35, about about would that run?

A full tower is nice but not necessary. Its totally up to you. In the recommended hardware guide we have many cases also listed.

P45s aren't that much more and they are a good improvement over the p35, so you might want to look into them. Two popular P45s are

Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

and if you don't have the cash for that

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

then get this one.
__________________

__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 09-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #43 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 806
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

The cost of the cpu, mobo, and ram would just be too much. not to mention I need an apparent cpu upgrade. I would spend 150 on a motherboard, about 100 on a cpu at most. I think I should be able to use the ram I have it's pretty decent. Then another 200 or so on the gpu. I have an Asus board now, so it'd be nice to stick with them, though I am an nvidia fanboy and would like to try sli so that might not work.

I'm not an expert on motherboards, and I've heard about a lot of them having problems, so I wouldn't be confident choosing my own again.
Thresh25 is offline  
Old 09-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #44 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

To save some money one the cpu you could get a E5200. It's a great overclocker and is only $90.

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
__________________

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 806
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

a pentium? lol. wouldn't that be slower than what I've got
Thresh25 is offline  
Old 09-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #46 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

No way. The pentium brand has been switch to Intel's low end dual cores. They have nothing in common with the Pentium 4 or the Pentium D. The e5200 will easily out run your 4000+.
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #47 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 806
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

If I do upgrade though I'd want significantly better performance, I'd probably go with a core 2 duo.
Thresh25 is offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #48 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresh25 View Post
If I do upgrade though I'd want significantly better performance, I'd probably go with a core 2 duo.
Pentium Dual Core's are Core 2 Duo's with less cache. The E5200 uses the same wolfdale core as the e7x00 ad E8x00 Core 2 Duo's. It also has a higher multiplier and lower fsb than the other wolfdales so it is easier to overclock. A E5200 is significantly faster than your current cpu.
__________________

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #49 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 806
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

wow, learn something new everyday. how much better is the core 2 duo than a pentium dual core?
Thresh25 is offline  
Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #50 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Should I upgrade?

The core2 will have more cash and a higher fsb but thats about it when your talking about the e5200. Its 45nm just like the wolfdales. If you really want a Core2 you can pick up an e7200 for $120
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
__________________

__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Upgrade Issues aeroplane22 Microsoft Windows and Software 2 03-20-2008 08:45 PM
Forseeable price drops? My possible upgrade plan. Trepkos New Systems | Building and Buying 3 12-04-2007 02:21 AM
Medium computer upgrade. muman System Upgrades 6 09-14-2007 04:53 PM
Upgrade Advice for my system Cheeseking25 New Systems | Building and Buying 2 07-25-2007 02:28 PM
Vista activation problem Max Power Microsoft Windows and Software 11 07-12-2007 04:01 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.