Should I stay or should I go now? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5
Default Should I stay or should I go now?

specs:
AMD X3 720 @ 3.2Ghz AM3 Processor
ASUS M4A78 PLUS motherboard
G SKILL 1066 PC8500 DDR2 (2x2GB)
eVGA 8800GTS 512 (G92) video card
SEAGATE 500GB SATA II hard drive
VIEWSONIC VX922 2ms@ 1280x1024 (@ max. resolution)
ANTEC TRUPOWER NEW 650
VISTA ULTIMATE


I want to play Call of Duty: MW2 in November. Should I get a ATI 4890 video card now, or wait for the new models coming soon, I hope. I know I can get $100 for the old card and a new one, here in Canada, is only $230cdn, including tax. Money is not a problem, I'm thinking more in the lines of being set for the next two years. The current video card plays everything fine at my current resolution, any higher, no go. So, wait for new lines from ATI or grab a 4890 for a sweet price, now. Powerful enough for the next 2 years? Oh, by the way the M.B. is set up for SLI, so I can add another card down the road if necessary.
Opinions please.
Thank you in advance,
Rusty
__________________

Rusty-The-Cat is offline  
Old 07-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Nubbleet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston/San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 837
Send a message via AIM to Nubbleet Send a message via MSN to Nubbleet
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go now?

I would stay. Upgrade as needed.
__________________

__________________
4670K @ 4.4GHz 1.18v | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 8GB G. Skill 1866 | 128GB Crucial M4 | 750GB WD Caviar Black | MSI 7850 Twin Frozr | Megahalems | 650TX | CM690
Nubbleet is offline  
Old 07-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
philbar71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 4,533
Send a message via AIM to philbar71
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go now?

ya, a 8800GTS G92 is more than enough for COD MW2. then when the new cards come out you can upgrade then.
__________________


The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
philbar71 is offline  
Old 07-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Druid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,065
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go now?

The new radeon cards will be out before mw2, and your pc can already max it. They're still on the same engine from cod2. I think the Nvidia ones aren't coming out till January maybe?

Either way, make sure you know that SLI is only for Nvidia cards. If you have an SLI mobo, then you can't do 2 4890s.
__________________
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970
Ram: 12GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Druid is offline  
Old 07-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5
Default

Yeh, after the upgrade from an Socket 939 FX-60 with Corsair Plat. DDR I added at least 10-15 fps Before the 190 drivers from nvida.

money money money SLI-yes
Rusty-The-Cat is offline  
Old 07-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Slaymate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go now?

Nvidia and ATi should have new cards out in November/December. I'm thinking the kids are in for a bad xmas as I know what I'm getting HeHeHe
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slaymate is offline  
Old 07-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Druid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,065
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go now?

Why though? You have 280's in sli. How could you possibly need more power?
__________________
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970
Ram: 12GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Druid is offline  
Old 07-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,958
Send a message via AIM to Burn
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go now?

^he wants it. lol
__________________
EVGA E758 A1 | Core i7 920 @ 4ghz | 6GB DDR3 1600 OCZ Gold | XFX 6870 CF | Corsair TX850 | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Water Cooled
Burn is offline  
Old 07-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Slaymate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go now?

I guess it's a habit I heard the same why more power question when I had a pair of 7800GTX's, 7950GX2's, 8800GTX's, 3 -9800GTX's and now with the GTX 280's.

More is always better, it promotes growth. I remember buying a ATi 9800XT with a free Half-Life 2 coupon, thinking I had the best and the baddest, I am the King. It really didn't play HL2 that well. The Best and the Baddest will alway need replacing sooner or later. I just choose sooner
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slaymate is offline  
Old 07-25-2009, 02:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Hefemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 9,093
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid View Post
Why though? You have 280's in sli. How could you possibly need more power?
Blasphemy. You always need more power.
__________________

__________________
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Hefemeister is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ipod nano won't stay on Nukem Apple and Mac 7 02-08-2009 07:49 PM
My friend tells me to stay away from 64 bit Vista!?!?! Chad711 Microsoft Windows and Software 20 10-30-2008 02:54 PM
MSN Doesnt Stay Connected SpikedCola Microsoft Windows and Software 25 06-19-2008 08:16 AM
E6300 wont even stay stable at 2.1Ghz Oreo Overclocking and Modding 4 07-27-2007 12:00 PM
Why do you stay hear? Kharn Off Topic Discussion 49 05-15-2007 12:28 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.