Should I or shouldn't I? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Question Should I or shouldn't I?

I am trying to decide whether to upgrade my main PC or wait a while and just buy a new one. My machine isn't bad, it just needs some upgrading to handle the games of today i think. I bought it in late 2005. I have XP but would like to upgrade to Vista and be able to play today's games without worrying about whether my system can meet minimum or recommended requirements. Thoughts? Opinions? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance...

Memory (RAM): 1536 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
CPU Speed: 1942.2 MHz
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 6600
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #3 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Mouse: 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 149.0GB | X: 465.8GB | Z: 233.8GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 108.8GB | X: 145.5GB | Z: 29.2GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 04/07/06 | Nvidia - 42302e31
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-E

Invincer is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Do not Stare at my Avatar
Ste's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Upon Gleaning Infinity
Posts: 9,577
Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

Depends how much you want to spend and what you want to play.

But that looks to be in my world as a lost cause, as it seems likely that you have AGP slot. And far as I know the best card for AGP is a 3850.

Might as well save for new build.

Ste is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 187
Default Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

Save up and get a nice i7 system. just need a price range and we can build ya one.
Intel Q9550 ( 3.84ghz OC on air)
Asus Rampage Formula
OCZ Platinum dual channel memory 8gig
Vista Ultimate 64bit
Radeon 4870 512mb

Michowski is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Default Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

I am working with a present budget of around $500; that's why I was wanting to try to upgrade this one.
Invincer is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
saltynay's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast, Singapore
Posts: 5,149
Default Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

There you go thats under $500 and will kick your current comps butt you could even stretch to a 4870 if you don't need a psu
saltynay is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Default Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

So I should be able to replace the processor, motherboard, memory, and video card with the above components into the system I now have. How difficult will this be for someone who has replaced many cards inside, but never installed my own processor/motherboard? Thanks!
Invincer is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart
Hussein19891's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,209
Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891
Default Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

It shouldn't be too difficult. Replacing and installing cards is how I first started as well.

Hussein19891 is offline  
Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Default Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

Okay, after reading around some on these forums, it would seem this may not come close for playing games like Crisis, FarCry 2, Fallout 3, and God only knows what massive recommended requirements will arise on games coming out next year. So if I were to go to a budget of around $1500 what would be my best path in this scenario? It would not be $1500 all at once, maybe over a few months. So I would like to upgrade components slowly say one each week or two while being able to keep my computer's functionality while going through the process. My question is not only what build would be good, but what order should I upgrade if it is like one component every other week keeping full functionality? Thanks for all your help!
Invincer is offline  
Old 12-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 419
Send a message via AIM to Dr DMoney
Default Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

Best thing to do is save for a whole new build then. If you add a few parts now, and add months later then the stuff your originally bought is less expensive. Save until you get to $1500 for a new (much more powerful) machine. That said you will still be able to play those games with the $500 setup. They won't be at highest resolution, but it will be fine.

The start of my signature...
Dr DMoney is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.