Should I or shouldn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invincer

Solid State Member
I am trying to decide whether to upgrade my main PC or wait a while and just buy a new one. My machine isn't bad, it just needs some upgrading to handle the games of today i think. I bought it in late 2005. I have XP but would like to upgrade to Vista and be able to play today's games without worrying about whether my system can meet minimum or recommended requirements. Thoughts? Opinions? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance...

SPECS:
Memory (RAM): 1536 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
CPU Speed: 1942.2 MHz
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 6600
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #3 - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: E: SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615 | F: TSSTcorpDVD-ROM SH-D162C | G: TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S203N
Mouse: 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 149.0GB | X: 465.8GB | Z: 233.8GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 108.8GB | X: 145.5GB | Z: 29.2GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 04/07/06 | Nvidia - 42302e31
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-E

Depends how much you want to spend and what you want to play.

But that looks to be in my world as a lost cause, as it seems likely that you have AGP slot. And far as I know the best card for AGP is a 3850.

Might as well save for new build.

I am working with a present budget of around $500; that's why I was wanting to try to upgrade this one. :(

So I should be able to replace the processor, motherboard, memory, and video card with the above components into the system I now have. How difficult will this be for someone who has replaced many cards inside, but never installed my own processor/motherboard? Thanks!

Okay, after reading around some on these forums, it would seem this may not come close for playing games like Crisis, FarCry 2, Fallout 3, and God only knows what massive recommended requirements will arise on games coming out next year. So if I were to go to a budget of around $1500 what would be my best path in this scenario? It would not be $1500 all at once, maybe over a few months. So I would like to upgrade components slowly say one each week or two while being able to keep my computer's functionality while going through the process. My question is not only what build would be good, but what order should I upgrade if it is like one component every other week keeping full functionality? Thanks for all your help! :)

Best thing to do is save for a whole new build then. If you add a few parts now, and add months later then the stuff your originally bought is less expensive. Save until you get to $1500 for a new (much more powerful) machine. That said you will still be able to play those games with the $500 setup. They won't be at highest resolution, but it will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom