Should I Go Crossfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaackoran

In Runtime
Ive got a x1600pro 512 right now... its crossfire ready made by sapphire. Just wondering if i should sell my old mobo and buy a new crossfire for same price. Then buy another crossfire edition card and run it with my x1600.

The biggest question is... what are my options for a crossfire edition card... and which one would be best suited to pair up with the x1600pro 512.

That would not be a very good investment, IMO. I would wait for conroe, the G80 and R600 before upgrading. That's what I'm doing anyway. I know the wait will be hard, but in the mean time, save up money. If you get something now, it will be great for mabey a month or two, but when conroe, the g80 and r600 all come out, you will be kicking yourself for not waiting. Thats like what happened to me with the geforce 6800gt. I had a pci fx5200, and I desperately wanted a new card (and pc).

At that time, the 6800 and athlon 64s were top of the line, and they were looking mighty fine, and I knew the 7800 series and dual cores were just around the corner, but I wanted an upgrade so bad that I just said screw it and went with a 3700+ and a 6800gt. This was great for about a month; I was in the fast lane now, and I was enjoying it.

About a month after I got it, the GeForce 7800 series came out, as well as the dual core cpus. I was so mad, the 7800gt was cheaper than the 6800gt, and it kicked it's butt. The dual core cpus were also great. In the end I caved in and had to upgrade again to a 7800gt and opteron 165. The difference was a big one, and if I could do it over again, I would have waited, and saved a lot of money.

Trust me on this one, wait.

If you want to upgrade something right now, upgrade your power supply. It's a peice of ****. ;)

haha.. well the other option i was thinking of was when conroe comes out... buy a conroe 2.13, xfire mobo, and a r600 xfire edition to pair with the x1600....

would that even work well? or would the x1600 hamper the r600's performance...i know it would disable some pipes... but ati's cards are more shaders then pipes anyways...

what do you think?

EDIT: guess im mistaken... you need to pair up same family...

Yeah, if you paired an r600 with an x1600, it would be considerably slower than an r600 alone. But that is null because you can't do it anyway.

SLI sucks ... and SLI>CF.

And if your planning to upgrade you'd be doing yourself a bad favor if you didn't wait for Conroe, DX10 ect.

The dual GPU solutions really only help when you're at massive resolutions anyways. You'd be better off getting a GPU that's twice as expensive for faster speeds.

seems like crossfire is looking better then sli to me.... works on all apps . with the new 3200 chipset ati looks like its going in the right direction... no bridge or dongle needed for most cards now too. Ill wait and see with next gen in july..

thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom