Should I go with AM2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fadedstar

Baseband Member
Hi,

Basically looking to build a new system here. I want to stick with AMD. So I just spent like 5 hours reading on all the new stuff that is made these days and can't find an AM2 motherboard that seems to be ok with me.

I'm not the kind of guy who likes spending a lot of $$$ on motherboards. I'm not an overclocker. Anything below $130 would be just fine.

I can't seem to find a good AM2 board that is working well. Based on user reviews, most Asus seems to overheat too much or not working well, etc... I'm really starting to think that sticking with 939 is a better option for now since they are mature.

What you think? Am I really missing something here building a 939 setup, no DDR2, etc... ?

When I upgrade my CPU, I like em to be good enough for 2 years...

Thanks!

i wouldnt go am2 stick 939 just because i have a feeling that there really isnt a future for am2 they say that it will be compatiable with am3 and ddr3 but i dont belive it. a939 systems are still bad *** and a little cheaper and they are pretty much the exact same thing except they dont use ddr2 (which form what ive been reading is only a 5% performance increase you probably wont see) it ****es me off that amd just added another pin to there processors and called it am2 they should of just started aking 939 boards with ddr2 slots

Sticking with AMD for a new build at this point would not be the wise thing to do. Anybody who tells you otherwise is simply, well ... wrong.

If you were looking to upgrade your computer that was already AMD and could not afford to buy a new CPU, RAM and motherboard, that would be a different story. But with a new build it would be a mistake.

fade2black2004 said:
i wouldnt go am2 stick 939 just because i have a feeling that there really isnt a future for am2 they say that it will be compatiable with am3 and ddr3 but i dont belive it. a939 systems are still bad *** and a little cheaper and they are pretty much the exact same thing except they dont use ddr2 (which form what ive been reading is only a 5% performance increase you probably wont see) it ****es me off that amd just added another pin to there processors and called it am2 they should of just started aking 939 boards with ddr2 slots

The last time some one made a statement like that, he told me pci-e would never take off. Yeah right.... The the reason they cant just use ddr2 with 939 is the memory controller and the prices are basically the same between am2 and skt 939.

Oh great! Now I must spent another 5 hours reading on Intel products, eh eh.

Ok I don't mind. Core 2 litterature, here I come!

It's not that hard, all you need to know is that an overclocked E6300 on stock cooling can beat an FX-62!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom