Should I go for 1 final upgrade? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-29-2008, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16
Default Should I go for 1 final upgrade?

Well I am not sure what to do. Right now my computer specs are:
3800x2@2.4ghz. 2gb ddr ram. Asus A8V. x1950 pro AGP, and a 450w ps.

I am considering buying an Ati HD 3850 agp for my computer for approximatly $215 canadian.

My thinking is that this last upgrade will let my computer last me until it's time for me to go to college. This would be around september 2009. At that point I probably won't have too much time to play games anymore, and would probably get a laptop to use during my college/university time.

Do you think I should do this 1 last upgrade? Do nothing? Or do something else entirely.
__________________

dipper145 is offline  
Old 02-29-2008, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 29
Default Re: Should I go for 1 final upgrade?

If your gonna upgrade, dont go half way and be stuck with something that may not make it strong in 09. I say bump it up to a 3870, instead of the 3850.
__________________

B.S.O.D. is offline  
Old 03-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16
Default Re: Should I go for 1 final upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.S.O.D. View Post
If your gonna upgrade, dont go half way and be stuck with something that may not make it strong in 09. I say bump it up to a 3870, instead of the 3850.
I would, but I dont think theres an AGP version of the 3870. But there are AGP 3850's for sale now.

Then again, I could always wait to see if an AGP 3870 gets released.
dipper145 is offline  
Old 03-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 29
Default Re: Should I go for 1 final upgrade?

Your right, i didn't realize there isn't an agp version. Agp is being phased out, so if they don't have a card now, they probably wont have much incentive to make one later. In this case, i would say go with the 3850 then.
B.S.O.D. is offline  
Old 03-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Biohazardous
 
nOcLuE98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,673
Default Re: Should I go for 1 final upgrade?

if you dont game a lot, I would say dont upgrade. Save that money and get a better laptop. or save it for your life. never know when 200 will come in handy.

plus, no way you will be able to sell that card for anything in sept. agp, and old... not a good combo if you would want to sell it.
__________________
http://www.conquestgraphics.com
nOcLuE98 is offline  
Old 03-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,601
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: Should I go for 1 final upgrade?

i agree with NOCLUE, that system won't sell for much. ultimatly you should either save for a bran new system for college of like noclue sugessted save for a good laptop.
__________________
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline  
Old 03-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16
Default Re: Should I go for 1 final upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOcLuE98 View Post
if you dont game a lot, I would say dont upgrade. Save that money and get a better laptop. or save it for your life. never know when 200 will come in handy.

plus, no way you will be able to sell that card for anything in sept. agp, and old... not a good combo if you would want to sell it.
I do game alot, and I think that this final upgrade will extend the life of my computer for a while longer.

I'm also not to worried about not being able to sell it. I don't think I'll sell it anyway.
dipper145 is offline  
Old 03-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,601
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke
Default Re: Should I go for 1 final upgrade?

its up to you man but i don't recomend doing that upgrade.
__________________
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline  
Old 03-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 1,693
Send a message via MSN to Vaanish
Default Re: Should I go for 1 final upgrade?

i also dont reccomend it.
__________________
MSI P35 Plat // 4GB DDR2 1033 // HD 4870 // Conroe C2D e6300 @ 2.5Ghz
Vaanish is offline  
Old 03-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 145
Default Re: Should I go for 1 final upgrade?

yeah id go with a radeon 3870 there only like $230
much better than the 3850!
__________________

__________________
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...igns/pcsig.jpg
xfire:nhlrocker
msn:cave_daniel@hotmail.com
3DMark05:14,880
aquamark score:133,352 :)
nhlrocker is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forseeable price drops? My possible upgrade plan. Trepkos New Systems | Building and Buying 3 12-04-2007 02:21 AM
Medium computer upgrade. muman System Upgrades 6 09-14-2007 04:53 PM
Upgrade Advice for my system Cheeseking25 New Systems | Building and Buying 2 07-25-2007 02:28 PM
To upgrade? or not to upgrade? wumbo6 New Systems | Building and Buying 12 06-11-2007 12:07 AM
Vista Upgrade? Saynt25 Microsoft Windows and Software 4 04-18-2007 04:48 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.