Should i get GTX 580 or HD 6970?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive.777

In Runtime
Hi
Now first up, PLEASE no fanboi replies!
Iam in the market for a new graphics card to replace my HD 5770. the 2 cards iam looking at are the HD 6970 and GTX 580. Both of these cards are very good and iam finding it hard to decide which one to get. About 7 days ago i was going to get the 6970 but We were hit by cyclone yasi and lost power and phone for 8 days. this gave me time to really think about it. in that time, i also earnt more $$$.

I know the GTX 580 is a little better than the HD 6970. I just want a card that can max all the new games in 2011-2012 and possibly further. i dont want to have to worry about major fps drop. if the 6970 will easily do this then ile go with it. iam a huge fan of the latest total war games and cant w8 for shogun 2. i also game at 1920x1080 on a 24" monitor (Samsung BX2450)

I currently have $550 saved for the 6970 but is it worth saving that little exra for the gtx 580?

I don't think the 6970 is worth it, personally. I'd say go to the 5 series. 5970 is way too expensive, so go with a 5870: Newegg.com - XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity it will easily play all games..

It's much cheaper and just about the same (little lower clock speed, but more processors, with a little lower memory clock speed) ..compared to this: Newegg.com - XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

I would definitely go with the GTX 580, just look up some benchmarks, heck i've seen the GTX 570 beat the 6970.

Either card will let you max games through the time period you've stated. Even the 5870 should do this. There shouldn't be any kind of major leap in system requirements until the next generation of consoles, which I'm assuming will start in 2013.

Thanks for the replies. i dont want to go with the previous generation of cards. Their tesselation performance is poor. as i said, its either 6970 or gtx 580. @Hapx4.0, i was thinking the same thing.

Ok, so iam pretty much set on the GTX 580 now. The next question is what brand would you guys recomend? i was looking around and from what i can see, EVGA and MSI are the 2 biggest contenders (thats not to say the other brands are bad). I found the MSI GTX 580 Twin frozr II/OC on sale (limited offer) for $618 AUD (normaly $678 AUD). Thats cheaper than the stock MSI GTX 580, It was $640 AUD.

Should i jump at this bargain?

Buy a 6950 and unlock it to a 6970. **** you could buy two and CrossFire them.

This dude doesn't seem like he is on that kind of tech level. I would even be hesitant about trying that. Heck, I haven't even oced yet. I'm gonna have to get around to that before crysis 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom