Should i get a 6200 PCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mk97 said:
MMMmmm I dunno how much of a gain you'd get. I have a 6200 AGP in here right now and it played Quake IV on medium pretty well. Provided I'm running a sempron at 1.8ghz (3100 speeds). This is a temporary rig, and I didn't have a video card, let alone one that could play games. But if yours can play games ok, there's no reason at all.

well if you got your machine with a 6200 to run quake 4 on medium setting that would be a big jump for me cause i cant hardly get BF2 to run on low settings.
Why are you spending more money on the dell when you're going to be building a whole new one in a few months? Is that so you can a have a decent "secondary" gaming pc for your brother or???

a little bit of both i do want my brother to have a decent gaming machine cause he want to vs. my in CS cause he thinks he can beat me cause he beat starwars battlefront 2 on hard LOL. and i do want a decent secondary machine cause if i have friends over we can both play on the same CS or DOD server in the same room.

MrZucchiniHead said:
well if you got your machine with a 6200 to run quake 4 on medium setting that would be a big jump for me cause i cant hardly get BF2 to run on low settings.
It's not going to be any jump at all. PCI kills everything. A PCI fx5200 and a pci X1900XTX would probably perform exactly the same, the pci bus is just that big of a bottleneck. AGP has 2GB/s of bandwidth, PCI has 33mb/s of bandwidth. PCI express has 4gb/s of bandwidth. You see the huge difference? The only reason to get a pci 6200 would be if you were upgrading from integrated 4mb graphics, or if you just want to waste your money and say look -- I have the best pci graphics card ever made! Trust me, I used to have an old hp that only had PCI slots, god I don't know how much money I wasted on PCI video cards. I went through at least 5 of them, and they all performed exactly the same, from the 9200se to the fx5700. Be smart, don't waste your money.

Ya, to be honest you can build a much better budget com for around $300. My friend is an idot and he bought a 9250 pci (I used a 9200 AGP for my old family comp) and Mine beat the crap out of his. I told him to not buy pci cards cause they suck, and then when he builds a comp fro his brother what does he do? Buys a pci GeForce 6200... I've yet to playtest mine vs his, but let's just say he plugged in an old Geforce Ti 4200 to see what the card was and how it played, and his fps in Source jumped quite a bit. (also, he was rendering it on a HD TV...)

I'd say ask your parents to chip in a little more and buy a s754 Sempron processor (I suggest the 2800 or higher), the stick it on a G6100 motherboard (nForce 4 mobo, has pcie x16 and onboard Geforce 6100 (not as good as a descrete 6200, but it plays CSS in 12x7 on high (no HDR, AA, or high refelections of course) and gets 30+ fps pretty well. Plus, you can later buy a pcie gfx card, like a low end DX10 later. Then get a cheap SATA hard drive, a case (the X-Qpack is pretty good for it) and a DVD burner. Pop in 512-1gb mb ram and it's a sweet budget machine. Honestly, do yourself and your bro a favor and just spend $200 more for something that works.

003 said:
It's not going to be any jump at all. PCI kills everything. A PCI fx5200 and a pci X1900XTX would probably perform exactly the same, the pci bus is just that big of a bottleneck. AGP has 2GB/s of bandwidth, PCI has 33mb/s of bandwidth. PCI express has 4gb/s of bandwidth. You see the huge difference?

****! i knew PCI bandwidth was low but **** 33mb is small i see what you mean now and why my friends brothers GeForce 3 or was it 4 (AGP) was workin better than my Fx5500 on farcry whcich was my first graphically demanding game.

Honestly, do yourself and your bro a favor and just spend $200 more for something that works.

I've changed my mind and am gonna try and beg some money out of my dad for a pretty good lookin AGP/6600GT setup with a new case that dosen't look gay or say dell on the side.

this is what i've come up with.

case:
Spire BlueFin

mobo:
ECS 648FX-A2

video card: (the best part)
EVGA 6600GT AGP

the reason i didnt go with PCI-E is because i cant get a mobo with PCI-E that has a 478 socket.

so my new specs would be

intel P4 wo/ht
ECS 648FX-A2 s478
EVGA 6600GT AGP 4X/8X
1gb kingston value RAM
Spire BlueFin case
still a 40gb HD (probably get another 80gb so maybe 120gb total)
Samsung 52-32-52 CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive

(its not a DELL anymore YAY)

what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom