Should I buy this RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Bones

Baseband Member
Okay, here's the system I have now-- or more appropriately, will have purchased from a fellow by tomorrow night:

CPU: AMD 3200+ (939, Venice)
Mobo: Chaintech VNF4 Ultra Zenith VE (link)
GPU: XFX Geforce 7800GT
RAM: 2x Crucial 512MB pc3200

Sound: Audigy 2 ZS
HDD: 160GB Samsung + 80GB Maxtor (both 7200RPM IDE)
Optical: NEC 16x DVD-RW (ND-3520A)
Case: Cooler Master Cavalier
PSU: Thermaltake Silent PurePower 420W

Notice, only 1GB of RAM-- two 512MB sticks of non-performance Crucial pc3200 RAM.

Now, here's what the "Canadian Newegg" (NCIX) has on sale (being in Canada, I can't order from Newegg): "Kingston HyperX PC3200 512MB DDR400 CL2-3-2-6 184PIN DIMM Memory". Price? Let me do the conversion for you. After rebate, one stick comes out to approximately $31 USD-- and that's including tax. (Not sure what shipping would cost, so don't worry about that.) Rebate applies to up to two sticks. Non-sale/non-rebate price is $64 USD.

I assume that going by price alone, this is a great deal. In Canada, anyway. But would buying two of these sticks be a good upgrade choice for my new used system? The Crucial RAM isn't performance grade. It's just standard stuff. I don't know if this will all run in dual-channel mode together, or even run well together. I'm not on overclocker. I don't know anything about RAM timings. So that isn't an issue for me. But if mixing this RAM will for some reason really dillute the perfomance benefit of going to 2 gigs (or not work at all!), I want to know about it.

As well, with 4x512MB, I'll be out of RAM slots. I'm only a casual enthusiast, okay? I fathom that by the time I need to go over 2GB, I'll either be building a whole new computer to really take advantage of new standards, or I'll be doing an expensive upgrade consisting of CPU and GPU, anyway. So I don't think it's an issue. But you tell me-- is 2GB really not going to be enough, anytime soon? Heck, 1GB is good enough for most things right now. Well, for guys like me, anyway-- who aren't obsessed with overclocking and achieving FPS so high that the human eye can't even perceive the difference. ;P

Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2x1Gb>>>4x512Mb

And that system is decent, nothing to get excited over, Chaintech isn't that reputable of a brand, and XP Pro x64 has a lack of driver support and is glitchy IMO. IDE HD's are getting old fast. I wouldn't pay more than $700 for that.

If you want to install new memory look at some of the G. SKill DDR400 stuff on Newegg.com.

Well, thanks for the advice, but I've already decided to purchase the system. I've determined over the course of the last month that I can't do better for the money. I know that Chaintech isn't Asus, that x64 has kinks, and that IDE isn't the newest technology (though it works just fine). I've made up my mind.

Having two sticks of 1GB might be preferable, but it isn't an option, here. I already have 2x512MB to deal with, and the sticks on sale for what I understand to be a great price aren't 1GB, they're 512MB. I want opinions on what I'm looking at, not what I should do were I building a new system and money were no object.

And like I said in my original post, I can't use Newegg because they don't ship to Canada.

If I sound condescending, I apologize. I realize that you took time out of your day to write a reply to my inquiry. But I'm frustrated with the responses I seem to keep getting that recommend things that aren't on the table rather than taking my stated situation into consideration.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has an opinion. Given my situation, would this upgrade be recommended for my system?

Thanks.

Please pardon the bump, I'm desperate for opinions.

Would this RAM work in a decent fashion with my current configuration? Is this really such a good deal?

Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom