Several things on my new rig that seem to bother me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
Ok first off this is not a "tweak my rig" thread, I want stock settings - not overclock or anything- FIRST.

Ok let me explain all of this. I got this i7 rig a while ago and it's been.. problematic and full of things I never thought up until it arrived... so hopefully when this is done I will better understand this whole system, and perhaps help someone in the long run.

Installation:

The install went smoothly, it was stock set up so pretty much just "plug it in" and turn it on. 1 foul up was I am not used to a power switch on the back of the PSU- so I thought something went incredibly wrong with nothing happened... until I went to pull the cord out and felt the little switch and went "duh! I bet the PSU power is off!"

Things I never thought of at the time- SATA port usage, air flow restrictions, noise levels.

This was my first setup that included SATA, and since it seemed "the way of the future" I went and made sure even my DVD drive was SATA. I don't know if it matters - but does the arrangement of the HDD/DVD in the SATA ports affect any kind of performance? Like should ports 1/2 be for HDD's and 3/4 optical, or 1/3, 2/4, etc..... Not sure if it really matters, but it bothers me that I don't have a clear answer on the matter.

Count this as question 1. (so you can put answers like "1. no")

Air flow. My case is a "standard mid tower" type - it's fairly old - and does NOT have front Audio ports (to give a little insight on how old) so with all this new stuff in - it's fairly crowded and has poor air flow management, I will be getting a HAF 932 case, so it will be better, with much better cable management support. There are no questions about this topic, just informative.

Noise Levels. Another thing I didn't really care to look into - although my Stock fan on the CPU seems silent enough (I don't notice it) the only sound I hear is from the old GPU - which appears to be going out. Make sure you get high quality fans (larger at lower RPM) for silent systems. (Again no questions, just informative)

Now that it is together, the DVD drive seems.... very much lacking in performance. I am fairly sure this is my exact model : Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

When I put a game in, say , Fallout 3, I can hear it spin a bit(after about.. 10 seconds)- but the AutoLuancher doesn't seem to come up for a bit longer, if ever. (I just did this to time and check and.... 30 seconds after closing the drive or so - it finally launches) This seems .. extremely slow for a "SATA" drive with the specifics it listed....

Questions 2, 3, and 4:
Is this drive lacking in performance compared to other DVD burners?
Could it be my Windows Settings affecting the DVD speeds? (Windows 7 64bit, standard)
What can we do, or check, to see if it's my drive, it's settings, setup or other for problems?

Now I can't really go into too much Game Performance or anything, since my old GPU is bottle necking my whole system down, but if I have performance problems (compared to what I expect... or maybe my expectations are too high?) with my 4890 @ stock - then I will add on to this.

What I want to do is get things working..as I feel they "should" be, just stock speeds, or in case of RAM- the advertised 1600 speed and timings. My signature will have most of the details you need.

If any further details are needed, please just ask - like "what harddrive do you have" or what not, I will add it (oh and it will be added to my sig shortly :p)

what exactly are you asking? make it easy to understand. (2) your dvd drive is going to make noise no matter what thats how they are. (3)when you burn things you can change the burn speed. (4) i dont think you can change the read speed, its just reads the disk at a set speed.

well on the motherboard there are like 6 SATA connectors grouped in 2's I was just wondering if it mattered if I put an optical drive (DVD) with a Harddrive into one of those groups, if it mattered on speeds and what not, or if I should space them out.

Yeah, if you have groupings or colours of SATA ports its probably because they are on different controller chips and as wafflehammer says one set of ports may support RAID. SATA is not like the old ATA though where you had masters and slaves and putting optical drives on the same ribbon would slow down your HDD... the SATA ports are each an independant channel and they all have the same performance.

Do you think most of my problems are because my GPU bottlenecks performance so badly?

With only a single harddrive - how should I set up partitions and such for OS/Games? (1TB size)
Would you recommend buying another hard drive of similar speeds for just the OS?
Perhaps you would recommend a RAID setting for best performance/game play ? (I am new to RAID)

All these things might seem simple to you guys.. but yea.. recently something broke in my brain and nothing is trusted anymore.. what little knowledge I have I don't trust the "source" now of, and am Trying to salvage the best I can out of this i7 computer, it NEEDS to last 5+ Years with little modification. (Possibly some OCing, possibly another GPU or more RAM- but nothing HUGE to change)

I have decided that all Media Data will be held on an old Laptop Harddrive using a converter to make it an external (already up and running well.) [[I would like to know if there is a program suggested for testing HDD integrity because if this drive fails - I will lose YEARS of work.]]

I don't know of any program like that. I'm sure there is one. I know of programs that test speed...

My suggestions is spend the money and back it up again if it is that important.

I have your harddrive (well.... the 500gb of it) and I have 2 of them in raid 0. If you get the same experience as me you will only notice how fast load times are once in a while.... I only notice it in Empire Earth, and COH.... I'm always the first one done.

You can make that rig last a long time methinks...
(I don't think you will like it in 5 years though.... well... maybe if we all go back to terminals)
But your sig says it all
That GPU is poop... How much can you spend? At the very least pickup a $30-50 gpu around here on the forums/somewhere else... I can probably find you a deal on a 4850 for sub $80 on another forum if not here.

This coming Thur - Radeon 4890 will be purchased. Possibly WITH new case as well... hehe.

I have decided that all Media Data will be held on an old Laptop Harddrive using a converter to make it an external (already up and running well.) [[I would like to know if there is a program suggested for testing HDD integrity because if this drive fails - I will lose YEARS of work.]]

For within windows...
Depending on what drive brand you have, SeaGate has SeaTools, not sure what WD has. HDD Life, Hard Drive Inspector, HDTune (gives reports from SMART data), SpeedFan has a SMART data analyzer as well.

For bootable... The best you can use is SpinRite. It stresses the drive and checks each byte (depending on which level of checking you use). Well worth the money. I've used it to make previously unbootable systems bootable again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom