Several questions about CPUs/overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekriss421

Beta member
Hi, My computer is constantly overheating. Well, let me start from the beginning. I've had my computer that has been custom built for three years now. recently, it happens that my computer overheats. I have it set to shut off when it gets around 180 degrees farenheit, and it is normally around 156. I have 5 fans including the one on the CPU and power source, an intel pentium 4 CPU, a DFI motherboard and ATI 7500 graphics card. when I put my hand between the RAM and the CPU, I can feel the heat radiating off of it. In addition, when I start up my computer, it says something along the lines of
"WARNING! CPU settings changed. Enter settings in CMOS and Save! press F1 to continue."

It only overheats when I do something to strain it, i suppose. When I run Firefox, Media player, and MSN messenger, it works just fine. But when I download music, in addition to the other actions, it overheats. Or when I run any game, including Counter-strike 1.6 or World of Warcraft, it overheats shortly.

My Cousin has been suggesting things to me, such as a new case, power source, graphics card, etc. But I am unsure if that will work. I've tried cleaning it out with canned air and everything, to no avail.

If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer, But if you have a solution, that would be even better.

I would suggest re-seating the heat sink and applying arctic 5 thermal paste. You are sure that the fan attached to the heat sink is spinning?

I would also suggest maybe getting a more powerful fan for your cpu. And as suggested by UA Iron, definately apply some new arctic 6 thermal paste. Remember to remove the old thermal paste before applying the new paste.

"WARNING! CPU settings changed. Enter settings in CMOS and Save! press F1 to continue."

I get this now and again. It's usually due to me booting the system with a removable usb device, like mp3 player or usb stick or whatnot. It's to do with the boot priority being changed because of the new device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom