setting up raid - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: setting up raid

ty salty i had alrdy did that but did not find anything good... why r ppl *******s most the time?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Techie

is it possible to add more drives to a raid 5 after its setup? so if i took my 3 drives and made a raid 5 from them and then got another drive later i could add that one to the existing raid 5?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Techie

You know you don't lose data in raid 5 if one drive fails...?

And if you wanted to add a drive you would have to restructure the raid in the bios, which would mean back up to external, then restructure, then move the backup back onto the internal disk.
GTX 275 // Xigamatek Rifle 120mm // Creative XtremeGamer X-Fi
Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanepsycho View Post
can anyone link me an article with the exacte performance dif between raid 5 and raid 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanepsycho View Post
ty salty i had alrdy did that but did not find anything good... why r ppl *******s most the time?
Actually salty is a decent guy. Your problem is that this document does not exist because it depends on your controller and drives, I would have thought that this was pretty obvious.
As we have told you earlier you will not notice any performance difference between the two levels, this is for two reasons. The first is because, as dark strike said earlier, reads, which logic would tell you is the majority of transactions are near enough identical. The second is that even on the writes the only reason 5 would be slower is a tiny amount of overhead while parity is calculated.
As for your question about adding drives to the array, this is controller specific so you will have to look it up, you are looking for something like "online capacity expansion". It is unlikely the controller on the motherboard will support this.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread