Setting up a computer in a restaurant kitchen - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Setting up a computer in a restaurant kitchen

I am looking into setting up a computer and lcd monitor in a restaurant kitchen in close proximity to a very greasy area of the kitchen for the purpose of the cooks being able to see food orders placed by customers.

I want to know if there are any inexpensive products available to protect the devices from grease build up.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Setting up a computer in a restaurant kitchen

im not sure, but i guess just have a plexiglass screen between the monitor and the stove. And put it like where they can see it but not somewhere where there hands will touch it and such

| Taintedplay | Q6600 | evga gtx 260| XP 32bit
Old 05-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

i've seen large lcd wall mounts at mcdonalds cable wired as a 2nd monitor

most cash registers from ibm atleast dnt have this functionality i dnt know if there are any. i'll try see searching for some
Old 05-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

wrap the monitor in clear-wrap or plastic wrap. That stuff you wrap food in.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm not sure why I didn't think of it initially, but instead of setting up a computer or monitor in the kitchen for cooks to receive food orders, a simple ticket printer connected to a computer or network to print out food orders would be most cost effective and efficient.

I'll look into what kind of products are available. Perhaps I can find something that connects to a wireless network (which may not be most cost effective, but would be better than having an ethernet cable to deal with).
Old 05-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Camera junky

why do you need a compy to see orders, in teh kitchen i work in we just use a small printer, and get the orders as they come in. we have a wireless network set up to, the bar and the waitreses order on a touch screen monitor hooked up to a tower, meanwhile our litle printer gets the orders, and we make them, il ask my father about how ist actually set up, as he is the floor manager of teh restaurant, while im just a cook in the kitchen.
intel Core I7 4770k@ 4.0ghz-Nvidia GTX980-MSI Z87G45 mobo-8gb ddr3 Corsair Vengeance Blue-ADATA SX900 128gb ssd 2x in raid 0 500gb hdd and 1tb network drive- EVGA 750w bronze-NZXT RAZER H440 LE-55 inch samsung 8000 series LEd-BENQ XL2411Z-Logitech z906 THX 5.1, Microsoft sculpt KB Razer NAGA 2014
Old 05-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Do not Stare at my Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Ste

It is better to have a computer system where the orders are taken, and have small paper tickets printed for the cooks.

The orders will be stored on the computers out of harms way and can be reprinted if lost or desroyed.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Originally Posted by peterhuang913 View Post
wrap the monitor in clear-wrap or plastic wrap. That stuff you wrap food in.
Is this something you've done successfully? Monitors do give off some heat, and it would seem that sealing one up in plastic would be a really bad idea.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

Right, a computer in the kitchen space is a bad idea all together. An epson T-200 or T-220 would be your best bet. Don't buy a thermal printer for the kitchen (for obvious reasons.. LOL) What type of point of sale system do you all have in place? Cooks really don't need computers... ever. A sous chef or exec chef usually do but either have an office or share an office space with a ops/floor manager of some sort. In any case, a computer in a kitchen is a BAD idea. First of all.... it's darn hot, all the time. Secondly, you have food dropped/spilled/thrown (food fights happen in kitchens...just read Kitchen Confidential..LOL ) The closest place to the kitchen that you would have a computer is most likely a busing station.

If it's a faster food environment then you would probably be better off just having something that cooks can SEE but not touch. Like a screen up on a wall or something. They are called a "KDS" or Kitchen Display Screen (System) and are usually controlled by what is called a "Bump bar" to review past orders. They are ultimately controlled and supported by whatever point of sale system you have though. You'll see these a lot in Fast food places like mcdonalds, burger king/et cetera.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

In my uncle's rest, they have a monitor attach to the wall( it is above where the food is coming out so the waitress can get it) so all the chef can see the orders that a good idea since no one is touching it. they change page with a controller with arrows on the wall also.

Project [PROTOTYPE] | Intel Core i7 Bloomfield
i7 920 4.4GHz | XFX 5870 Crossfire 900/1300 Mhz | EVGA E760 Classified | Windows 7 Ultimate | Logitech G5 | Logitech G15 | Silverstone Raven RV02 | Corsair 850HX
WD 640GB Black | WD 320GB External | Megahalems | G.Skill 6GB 1866 9-9-9-21
Tech-Forums 1st 30K 3DMARK06

Intel Core i5 Lynnfield (Completed)
Closed Thread