Setting proper ram speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldernon

Baseband Member
Ive been looking at cpuid and have a question about my ram speed.

Im using 6 gigs of ddr3 ocz platinum rated at 1600Mhz 7-7-7-20

This is a picture of what cpuid says its at:
ram.jpg

Does that mean my ram is running at 583 mhz and not 1600? Im still a noob so please be gentle haha

Thank you all :)

actually the 3 does not mean you triple the speed effectively, remember DDR stand for double data rate, the 3 just represents the newest type of memory chip i guess. So your ram has been underclocked. The easiest way to set it right would be to boot into bios and change the ram speed by yourself which will be 800mhz or 1600mhz effective, depending on which way your bios displays the speeds.

as you see from this image here from hardware cannucks review, it's set a 840mhz (they had slight overclock) also the timings are mean tto be 7-7-7-24, so maybe you have it set to a lower SPD. SPD are those things you see in the table in cpuz which show default ram speeds with timings

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/mac/reviews/OCZ/OCZ3P1600LV6GK/a.jpg

Yes baron is correct you need to change the ram settings in bios. It is double rate. I have my 1600 running at 700 or 1400 effective for a slight underclock as I look for a max bclk on my chip.

you ram is running at 1167.6 efectively. So like said, to get your ram to run at the speed you want (in this case 1600mhz) you will need to overclock it threw the bios to 800. so 800*2=1600mhz......double data rate 101.

Ah I also have a question on this then. I just checked my cpu-z and it says my ram is running at 400mhz. My ram however is 1066. What should I set it to in BIOS to get it to be 1066?

Is it just resting at 400mhz, and once I start something up it goes to 1066? I know that's kind of what my processor seems to do. NB frequency is 1600 mhz, w/e that means.

^double data rate, so 400*2= 800, that is what it is running at. so to figure out how to get it running at 1066 1066/2=533. So you need your ram to be at 533mhz for an effective 1066mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom