server vs pc hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisX

Baseband Member
I understand a little of using pc hardware as a server, and its usually a con. But I haven't put server hardware into a pc before (at least not that I know of).

But, I've been looking into building a even more serious pc than my last. While looking at dual cpu socket mobos it seemed like most were server mobos.

Can I use server hardware to build a pc?

What rules about hardware compatability are there?

Does using server hardware for a pc downgrade or upgrade performance?

Thanks in advance.

Also, it's been a while since I've visited here, sad to see theres pr0n spam in my inbox -_-

That's a REALLY general question to ask.

You're talking about different sockets, different CPU's, and different RAM.

What would you do with this server? You're better off building a PC and using it to perform the tasks you'd want to build a server for. Not to mention you'd be spending an arm and a leg more.

Well, if I were to build this server pc, I would use it for high performance tasks like 3d rendering, burning, c++, gaming, and then I would have my current pc as the internet pc and public for friends.

I'm mostly looking to build a very high performance pc, which is why I was looking at dual socket mobos. Something I can use for important things and it will be set aside from the internet to avoid it. Ill just flash drive updates to it or lan it to my current.

well i personally looked into server parts while looking at parts for my new pc and to be quite honest unless your running server apps i just wouldn't bother

sure it would seem cool running a insane amount of ram and 2 cpu's but you would just be paying over the odds for not even a 1/3 of the proformance of a standard pc

look in to a enthusias / gaming pc would be less expensive and run a ton of a lot better

as far as the dual CPU server motherboards like the skulltrail or whatever goes, you'd probably get less performance in games with the 2 cpu's. Most games right now aren't even able to use 2-4 cores. 8 would be just counter-productive. are you trying to build a gaming rig from server parts? you'd be way better off building a gaming rig, using parts that were made for gaming. You can build a serious rig without having to pay for server stuff.

edit~ oh steve summed it up while i was typing XD

as far as the dual CPU server motherboards like the skulltrail or whatever goes, you'd probably get less performance in games with the 2 cpu's. Most games right now aren't even able to use 2-4 cores. 8 would be just counter-productive. are you tryign to build a gaming rig from server parts? you'd be way betetr off building a gaming rig, using parts that were made for gaming. You can build a serious rig without having to pay for server stuff.

edit~ oh steve summed it up while i was typing XD

well :p

funny i looked at this thread while i was eyeballing the asus 790i mobo and dreaming of tri 9900's on it:freak:

Just build a high performance desktop. The rest, rendering, c++/c#, (XNA?), burning, and gaming, would all work very well. I started messing around with C# and XNA on my rig recently and it runs very snappy, even importing full indie games to go off of is an absolute snap.

You're best bet to building a computer that can do a lot well is to build a good computer. Quad core, 4GB+ RAM, a good video card or two, fast hard drives, and a good reliable PSU.

When you get into straight up 3D rendering applications and whatnot, then you're spending money on specialized video card that aren't good for gaming at all.

Understood, how does one find a desktop mobo with 2 cpu sockets?

Ive tried searching "dual socket" "multi socket" "2 socket" but mostly returns dual core cpus and stuff

I don't think you quite understood what we've been saying haha.

Currently, the only up to date mobo that's a non-server one that's a dual socket is Intel Skulltrail. You also (from my understanding) need Skulltrail processors. Both hard to get ahold of, and both are extremely expensive. The performance per dollar ratio is next to nill haha.

I suggest-

Single socket mobo (Non-SLI- P35, X38,X48 SLI-750i, 780i, 790i)
Quad core CPU
4GB of RAM (Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, Patriot, if overclocking, Crucial Ballistix)

790i boards require DDR3.

well, the only desktop mobo with 2 sockets are skulltrail and quadFX, both ported from server parts, both of which are expensive.

dont bother with that. Just get a single socket pc, shove in a quad core, and some fast ram (DDR3 if you are REALLY serious) and maybe 2 graphics cards, and you got yourself a nice gaming rig.

PS graphics cards should be 8800, 9 series, or HD38XX series. Dont get any other ones.

Edit: Bah! Theotis beat me to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom