Server Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
Ok my dad just got a new job doing IT for a company owned by my best friends dad but its just a coincidence. He is really enjoying the work there but hes starting to realize how slow and old the computers are concidering people do alot of cad and file sharing, and or multi-tasking. Also when you need to upgrade where your office computer is 2x faster than the server and its only a year younger than the server. It ends up they have one server with a like 1.2ghz pentium by compaq with 1gb ram and the other is custom with 2.8ghz and 512mb ram and both lag like **** when they need to encode the video for the secuirty cameras or programs and files are opened or moved on it from other computers and sometimes they lock up or even crash.

Well heres what I was thinking. The budget is pretty high. Basically they will spend any amount of money unless it comes to
$8,000 or some really HIGH number. My dad doesnt really know this new technology so I am going to end of building and tweaking the whole thing except for the build process. I am pretty sure that it should be dual dual-core opterons with a couple gb of ram since the boss said it needs to last 5 or more years since the other ones did and before that we will buy another. Ok the current ones have 70gb of space and 100gb. HORRIBLE. I figure this will have like 500gb of like two fast drives in raid or something. It needs to be in a normal large and tall tower case with lots of fans because they decided to put it in a closet with air pushed down to it with nowhere to go. smart.... This build will be sort of close to turbo fx's but with less ram and no video card. The socket is atleast going to be 940 unless anyone knows of any better cpus for servers than socket 940 opterons and I think to go with ecc ram because people say its for servers. And also could you run NT on the server and run the computer from somewhere else?

i know near to nothing about these kind of machines (servers) but with that kind of budget, if you gonna stick this pc in an air-flow-less place like a closed closet, why not go with water cooling???

considering what you have now, i'd have to go with the following:

Thermaltake Tai Chi, its a full tower case, that comes with a water cooler. and its about $400

DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D $120

Opteron 180 OEM-$660

before i suggest ram, which operating system are these computers using?

john3 said:
considering what you have now, i'd have to go with the following:

Thermaltake Tai Chi, its a full tower case, that comes with a water cooler. and its about $400

DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D $120

Opteron 180 OEM-$660

before i suggest ram, which operating system are these computers using?

WHy s939?? You want a sdual Opteron 270 or something along those lines with 8GB's of ram :D And a couple of SCSI's drives in raid

Water cooling is not happening, remember this is going to be a server that almost no one is going to be physically looking at and it has to run 24/7 for next couple years. Not worth it. But there is a cool vent blowing air in but my dad said hes going to put a vent in the door with a fan for continuous cooling. So the closet will have continuous air flow.

just get one of the Tyan Dual Opteron boards, get 2 Opty 280's 8 GB ram, 2 15K SCSI HDs, SCSI RAID controller....5. more 750 GB HDs

somthing like that :D

You'd best go with dual Opertons, or maybe dual Woodcrests when they come out this late summer/early fall. Fancy cooling isn't really necessary. Max out RAM is at all possible. Any data should be in RAID 5, maybe RAID 6. The idea behind a server is that it has to be stable, not so much powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom