series of random questions.... ram, am2, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
well... im thinking this will be my last "questioning" post for this build... but anyways

i have a few questions that have always been ignored by myself that i want to know the answer to:

1. do the amd boards come with the HT(T?) enabled or do you have to do that in the bios or something. how do you toggle that setting?

2. how do you find the following RAM timings (corsair website is crap)
TRCD
TRAS
RAS
TRFC
TRRD
TWR

3. what exactly is the AM2 socket... i've heard things like the socket F and such but i have yet to get a clear answer on google

4. i have a "future-proof" case because it supports btx... what exactly is the point of btx, is it better arranged for quicker access times?

5. what kind of [whats the word...] port does an SCSI hard drive plug into the motherboard with? do you need an extra pci card to use an SCSI hdd?

6. how is one gpu or cpu able to have stock speeds faster than another. I know it sounds like a dumb question, but i really don't understand HOW it can go faster.... architecture.. core.. quality.. ?

if you answer a question, for the simplicity of it, please put the number(s) your answering

thanks!!

btx cases face the graphics card with the cooler facing upwards, so there is better airflow and cooling. - charlie

Dude the reason that noone is answering, is cause they dont know. Those are some good questions but those are very complex
But i was about to tell you about the btx case but its already posted...

hahaha, i can only imagine someone like p.p.mguire or 003 with a bunch of posts knows the answer

oh alexsabree - grats on ur 100'th post in like a month

1. do the amd boards come with the HT(T?) enabled or do you have to do that in the bios or something. how do you toggle that setting? HT is kinda like the FSB, it's always 'on'.

2. how do you find the following RAM timings (corsair website is crap)
TRCD
TRAS
RAS
TRFC
TRRD
TWR
The timings should usually be on the ram's description. The 3-4-4-8-2t etc. are the timings. If you can't find them on the retailer's site, you can usually go to the manufactur's site and get them. If the manufacture's site doesn't have them, then you're likely not buying from a remotly reliable brand.

3. what exactly is the AM2 socket... i've heard things like the socket F and such but i have yet to get a clear answer on google
sAM2 is the std desktop socket that AMD is going to introduce. All of the desktop lines of processors will be availbe for it, as in the Sempron64, Athlon 64, Athlon x2, and FX lines. Socket F is the server/workstation socket, much like socket 940 is now. Socket M or L or ... hmm I forgot the socket name, but the laptop socket is different. Really think of it like AMD combining socket 939 and s754 together and adding DDR2 and getting ready for their new processors that they will release next year.

4. i have a "future-proof" case because it supports btx... what exactly is the point of btx, is it better arranged for quicker access times?BTX was introduced by intel a while back. Support for it by mobo manufactures however, has been very slim. Intel has now said that all intel systems will be BTX by the end of the year. this will defintly force the change to BTX. AMD still holds that there's nothing wrong with ATX and doesn't have plans for BTX boards on their horizions. However there have been some showings of mobo manufactures showing off BTX AMD boards so don't worry about AMD being left behind.
As for what BTX is, it's a redesign of the motherboard, case, and in some cases the power supply. Intel designed BTX to optimize the cooling of vital components better than ATX does. BTX has the processor lined up in front of a front intake fan on the case so that air hits it right off. Behind the processor are the chipsets and other vital components. at the back of the case there is an exaust fan making an air tunnel of sorts that hits all the vital components. The VGA card is put a lot closer to this air tunnel to help cool it. The most outwardly noticable difference in BTX is that the psu is on the bottom and the motherboard I/O pannel and the pci slots are flipped upside down.

5. what kind of [whats the word...] port does an SCSI hard drive plug into the motherboard with? do you need an extra pci card to use an SCSI hdd?
SCSI... There's really not a point in having it in a desktop system. SATAII harddrives are pretty close to SCSI and normal drives are getting faster and faster. There's almost no point in justifying the expensie of buying a SCSI controller card (you must use a pci controller card for SCSI as the pin connecter is completely different, heince SCSI) and the very expensive SCSI drives.

6. how is one gpu or cpu able to have stock speeds faster than another. I know it sounds like a dumb question, but i really don't understand HOW it can go faster.... architecture.. core.. quality.. ?
Oh boy... I have a really bad headache right now, so I'll try to post an easy answer to this later.

if you answer a question, for the simplicity of it, please put the number(s) your answering

thanks!! Your welcome. That'll be $100.

EDIT: lol all other posts in this thread just got pwned by mine.

CPU and GPU can be overclocked for higher speeds.

GPU speed consister of the Core Clock and the Memory Clock, simply put, the higher the faster. They can be adjusted using Riva Tuner.

CPU speed is determined by the Multiplier and the FSB. FSB is determined by your ram, Multiplier has to do with your CPU.

Ex: AMD 3700 has a multiplier of 11, the FSB is 200MHZ(stock) with PC3200 ram. 11x200=2200, hence 2.2ghz.

To overclock, you can either raise the stock speeds of your PC3200 ram (200mhz -> 220+) or get PC4400 ram that runs at 250MHZ stock (11x250=2.75GHZ)

Pretty simple, hope you understand. PM me if u have any questions.

edit: alexsabree, ye of little faith. I know all the answers, and I'm just a little kid. We're not called Tech forums for nothing...

ok cool.... sorry MK97, im kinda broke right now :( lol - that was a huge help

RockyZ, what i meant was what makes a 7800gtx better than a 6800gt, but i found a page on by using google. simply put it is the way it is designed as well as the increasing technology and being able to "cram more onto one chip" such as more cache, more refined pipelines, etc.

but thanks for the jab at it, better than nothing... cause i never completelly got that either :p

lol, if u were two weeks younger you'd be born on my 1/2 birthday :D

and how the f*** are you getting ur 6600gt at 525?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom