Semi-Professional Audio - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Original Mac User
 
mac_mogul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America
Posts: 1,515
Default Re: Semi-Professional Audio

Easiest solution is going to be to place a layer (or two) of vinyl on the windows. Some heavy opaque curtains will help as well.

I would NOT recommend a theater in a box configuration if you're looking for quality sound.

Check for bundles like this that will include a receiver for high quality output. Most computers have optical audio out, so you would definitely get better quality audio from this setup. It also allows you to adjust phasing and other audio attributes to keep the sound in your room and not outside.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-ampli...370525&sr=1-10
__________________

__________________

17" MacBook Pro
2.3ghz Intel i7 // 8gb RAM
The older computer
2.53ghz Intel e7200 // 4gb HyperX // EVGA 9800 GTX 512mb // Win7
mac_mogul is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
ninja troll
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: Semi-Professional Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_mogul View Post
looks like HTIB

if he wants quality audio at this budget it will be in mono.
__________________

__________________
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Corsair 550VX
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870


jasonalwaysready is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 95
Default Re: Semi-Professional Audio

That Yamaha seems alright, little cheaper Than The Z906's. But This being Amazon There's no Product Info etc. And They're a Home Cinema System, so I imagine They'd be crap For when I plug Them into my Xbox or To listen To music etc, and probably have crappy Bass?

And can I ask what's mono?
MrTechProWannabe is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: Semi-Professional Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalwaysready View Post
lolwut
The heat compresses between the window and the insulation. Even with the tin foil the drywall at my house would be warm to the touch still. One of the windows I didn't put tin foil in and you could smell it burning and it left a nasty smell in the house. If you went outside you could see it starting to blacken up. I'm just lucky it was in the morning side of the house and not getting hit by the afternoon sun. Then again, this is Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_mogul View Post
Easiest solution is going to be to place a layer (or two) of vinyl on the windows. Some heavy opaque curtains will help as well.

I would NOT recommend a theater in a box configuration if you're looking for quality sound.

Check for bundles like this that will include a receiver for high quality output. Most computers have optical audio out, so you would definitely get better quality audio from this setup. It also allows you to adjust phasing and other audio attributes to keep the sound in your room and not outside.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-ampli...370525&sr=1-10
That is still a theater in a box with a slightly better A/V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechProWannabe View Post
That Yamaha seems alright, little cheaper Than The Z906's. But This being Amazon There's no Product Info etc. And They're a Home Cinema System, so I imagine They'd be crap For when I plug Them into my Xbox or To listen To music etc, and probably have crappy Bass?

And can I ask what's mono?
These are going to sound better than the Logitechs. It's a better version of a home theater in a box.

You want to buy audio equipment and you don't know what mono is? Mono is one channel of sound.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 95
Default Re: Semi-Professional Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
You want to buy audio equipment and you don't know what mono is? Mono is one channel of sound.
Well sorry, I didn't know I had To know everything about a product I buy, next Time I'm eating Mash Potato I'll make sure To Find out if The Potato I'm eating was shat on by a mosquito.
MrTechProWannabe is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
ninja troll
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: Semi-Professional Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The heat compresses between the window and the insulation. Even with the tin foil the drywall at my house would be warm to the touch still. One of the windows I didn't put tin foil in and you could smell it burning and it left a nasty smell in the house. If you went outside you could see it starting to blacken up. I'm just lucky it was in the morning side of the house and not getting hit by the afternoon sun. Then again, this is Texas.
i wasnt aware that fiberglass or drywall was flammable. i guess it does have a paper backing...?
__________________
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Corsair 550VX
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870


jasonalwaysready is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: Semi-Professional Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalwaysready View Post
i wasnt aware that fiberglass or drywall was flammable. i guess it does have a paper backing...?
Isn't the drywall that is the problem, it's the insulation. Yea it's the typical pink **** in a roll with the paper that holds it together. Meant to go in between studs in a wall. Says highly flammable right on the package. The tin foil also acts as a reflector to bounce back some of that heat from the sun. A lot of people do just foil on their windows here in Texas to save on summer AC costs. I did all my windows with the setup I talked about and it dropped my bills 75-100 bucks in AC costs. My computer room stayed super cool. Windows leak a ton of air so it just seals the gap if you don't want a window.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: Semi-Professional Audio

Topic Closed. No it wont be re-opened and if another is created, it will be closed and deleted. More than enough information was provided in this topic for an answer to be reached.
__________________

__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.