Semi-Basic Mining Build

luke127

The Ghost
Ok, so after doing some research and speaking to a few guys in the aussie PC groups on facebook, I'm seriously considering whipping together a basic mining rig. 1-2 GPUs, nothing stupidly expensive or noisy.

I've got a CPU, RAM, and LGA 1150 mobo from my Haswell system still lying around in a static proof bag, so that could be used for this rig. All I'd need to buy is a basic HDD, the GPUs themselves, and a power supply, along with a meh case. (Along with the cheapest monitor I can find).

Since this'll be a 2 GPU system, (and it'll be running at full load 24/7), it'll probably need a decently sized PSU. Modular if possible, semi-modular is also great, but I can deal with standard PSUs if absolutely necessary.

https://www.pccasegear.com/ is where I'll be sourcing just about everything, bar the GPUs. I'll be searching around for the best price on those. If anyone has any recommendations for a particular model of GPU, feel free to whack that in here. I was looking at getting a pair of 1070s off ebay or a swap and sell site for cheap, as it'll mean the system pays itself off faster.

From the estimations I was looking at, a pair of 1070s should be able to crank out ~ 12-14 AUD per day, looking at a profit of $84 > $98 a week. Considering that is legitimately what I need to live comfortably right now, (and I've been running around trying to get a casual job to cover that $100 I need), if I can get this system running, I'll be a very happy man.

Cheers fellas :)

Edit:

Part List:
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/22419/corsair-cx-750-modular-80-bronze-power-supply

Last edited:
Do you have to pay for power? Do you have good AC?

Two of my TItans running 24/7 fluctuate anywhere between 11 dollars and 18 dollars a day which might not sound too bad but if you have to pay for power it's terrible. I don't mine, but I do turn on Nicehash just to see what it's at for the day. RIght now it's showing me 11 bucks. Mind you that's two cards under custom water that never go over 40c while mining and GPU boost never dips below 1886. Pair of 1070s will make less.

Then we have the issue where, you chose the perfectly wrong time to want a GPU let alone two, let alone 1070s. Idk about there, but if you were to buy a 1070 here it'd cost you about a grand.

I don't have to pay for power, and I've got a portable AC unit that's rated to cool 30 m^2, and it's cooling about half that space. The room stays a chilly 24C. Which for aussie summers, is ****ing brilliant xD

As for getting the GPUs, it's not too hard to get 1070s over here because there's a fairly large backlog of stock here, and the mining craze isn't as ridiculous over here.

I've modified my design also. Instead of 2 1070s I'm going to go with 1 1080 Ti. Just one 1080 Ti makes me $50 AUD a week (ish), which is more than enough for what I need. (After modifying the fortnightly budget a wee bit). 1080 Tis aren't hard to find here either. There's plenty of them in stock.

Also, the 1080 Ti pays itself off in 6 months earning ~50 AUD a week.

Last edited:
You still have the ROI on PSU and case. If you don't have to pay for power I don't see the harm in free money but you still have to pay off that 1080ti. I have a friend here who makes about 2200 a month and we don't talk much because he's part of the damn problem. Just wait until mining hits down there, a 1070 here is literally a grand.

Yeah I know. I won't be starting this project until I have a casual job, because then if this goes belly up for whatever reason, I won't lose money I can't earn back.

But yeah, the fact that I could easily whack in another 1080Ti and double the income is a major bonus. The whole thing scales linearly.

This'll just sit in the corner of my room in my uni dorm, near my AC, so that the temperature doesn't fluctuate. (The AC's exhaust is piped out the window, so don't have to worry about exhaust heat causing issues for the PC).

Also, I'll be buying a UPS for this system if I do build it, because we had our first power outage in the 3 years this building has existed for last night. Lightning strike blew up the transformer powering the building and the surrounding lighting. Power company managed to re-route power from another transformer on campus to get power back to this building, but the lights outside still don't work for the moment. I'm just glad to have power back in here tbh. But yeah, if that ever happens while the miner is running, that wouldn't be good lol. Thankfully the building is practically immune to power surges due to how it's setup, so I don't have to worry about that issue. (Also considering I've got surge protector **** everywhere). So yea that'll increase the ROI slightly. But with the whole system, it's looking like $1738 AUD to buy. The ROI time on that is ~9 months or so. But tbh, I'm not phased at all, because if this doesn't end up working for w/e reason, I'll just keep the 1080 Ti as a gaming card, and sell my 1070 xD (The 1080 Ti would've been undervolted and underclocked, so there won't be anywhere near as much wear on the fan or GPU as it would've had at 100% 24/7.)

Last edited:
Heck with mining, shoot, where can I get free power? I wanna be part of the free power secret society too guys and does a secret decoder ring come with membership?

Back
Top Bottom