Second Opinion on Custom Gaming Rig (Take II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of what it says it will have a bithcin time trying to handle SLI 8800GTX's.

Especially since he wants this system to last the Corsair has a 5 year warranty

G.skill's slogan is "The Ultimate OC" the HZ's can hit DDR2-1200....
Ok, I'll look back to G.Skill. Is there a specific one you'd recommend?

The 650i can handle SLI 8800GTX's...plus SLI kind of blows anyway I think.
I was more thinking ahead to 8800Ultra, 8900GTX, 8950GX2, etc...

You do NOT need a physics card since the 8 series have their own built in.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 8 series restricted to operating as either a video card OR a physics card, but not both at once? If this is the case (and that's what I've been told), then using one as such would be a waste of money (and video processing power).

The PSU I guess is ok since it's not that bad a price. I'm just not a huge fan of Thermaltake PSU's.
If Corsair is better, I can go with that. As long as it doesn't have a blue LED! :p

Gotcha, thanks both!

I want SLI support so that if I evewr decide to go that route, I won't have to upgrade my Mobo/RAM/PSU/etc to use it. Right now I'm staying with the single 8800GTS for the value, but may later want to upgrade to the latest, at which point SLI would be a big plus.

ok, couple questions here regarding MoBos...

are there any drawbacks to
Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
or
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-N650SLI-DS4 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
aside from the ugly colors? Also, would the Zalman fan fit on that second one?
The Asus only runs $60 higher than the first one, and it's the lest expensive of the high-end mobo's I've been looking at lately. I also considered the MSI P6N SLI Platinum, but it's running only $35 short of the Asus.

ok, updated the first post for Corsair PSU and G.Skill.

Is there some reason I shouldn't go with the Asus aside from price? because the extra $30-$100 for a mobo doesn't bother me... it being one of the parts I expect to stay with me the longest, I want it to be the highest grade possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom