Second monitor and gaming headset - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 12:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well most of my stuff came today. I love the monitor, I love the headset but i have a hiss even when i have all sound muted. What is even weirder is it makes a squeek when i scroll with my mouse. It might be interference but i don't know what would be doing it or how to fix it. I have had various headsets before and have never had this. Pls someone help? Thanx.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Where are you plugging the headphones into? And what sound card do you have? I remember the Audigy I used to have, it also made a hiss when I moved the mouse.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie

New development.....

A. I was plugging it into the front of the computer
B. With it plugged into the back the hiss is 99.9% gone
C. I am just using an onboard soundcard
D. It is my birthday in 3 days and I am thinking of getting a nice soundcard to go with my nice headset. Any thoughts/suggestions?

I suppose it works with it plugged into the back, now I simply plug my speakers into the front if I want to hear them instead of the opposite and everything seems to work fine.

Also I left music playing all night so that it would "burn in" a bit.

I read on a forum somewhere that interference could cause it too but i don't know exactly what i would do about that. I have various case fans etc. but what would I do? I will probably leave it now that I have found the work-around method.

Thanks for any suggestions, commets etc. pls post links to any soundcard recommendations. I would prefer to keep the budget under $200 but just post what you think would work really well for me. Keep in mind I am especially interested in gaming.

Oh 1 other thing for some reason with my 2 monitors now my games get crappy FPS. I have a 7800 GTX that I OCed a bit. Is something wrong? Is that common for dual monitors? Any suggestions? One work around that I tried was telling it not to use the 2nd monitor while playing but that messes up my icons/toolbars etc. and is a pain so i would like to find some other way of keeping good fps. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

Actually I notice you are selling a sound card 003. Should i get it? is it still for sale? I am mainly a gamer and like the best sound i can get for music after that. Also keep in mind the hiss issue i was having with my headset so I really don't want any hissing

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

If you are a heavy gamer, you will love my sound card. I can almost promise you will not get any hissing with it, I used to have those exact headphones. When you plug them into headphone jacks on speakers or on the front of your computer, you can get hissing. Also, the x-fi has something called cmss3d, which is virtual headphone surround sound. It really was something else. You can't get any better for games.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Techie

Sweet, well my birthday is in 3 days and people are asking me what I want so if you wouldn't mind would you hold it for me? It sounds perfect for what I need.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I can hold it, no problem. You will love it, especially coming from onboard sound. I take it you have never heard EAX?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Techie

I just used what came with the MOBO that is in my sig. It was fairly nice, especially with the new headset but I am interested to hear what it is like with a good sound card.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Techie

One other question, I went and looked at that card on new-egg, does urs come with all the stuff too? How hard is it to install it, I have never actually had a 3rd party sound card before.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102189
Old 06-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Yes, it comes with everything. It's not very hard at all, you just put that drive bay thingy in like a CD ROM, you put the card in, and then you connect the card to the drive bay thing with the included ribbon cable.