Second HDD, Second OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Indeed.
Right now I am running Linux, and I would like to be able to install XP in the future. I know XP writes over everything on the harddrive, so how would I install it onto a seperate harddrive and have the option to boot to it during startup?

Thanks,
~Greg

Edit: Sorry this is in the wrong section, I wasn't paying attention and I cannot delete it.

take out your old hd then put in new and put window cd in and follow the instructions for a install later hook up both drive and selcet the sequence you want it to boot up such as 1) fst hd 2)cd drive 3) second hd this means it will start on what evert hd is your first option and if it fails to start on the 1st hd it will go to your next hd or cd drive depending on what you picked hope this helps

Okay, but is it possible to choose which one to boot from using GRUB or something so I dont have to disconnect one everytime I want to use it?

You wont need to disconnect each time. if you have a different os on each hdd then you simply enter the bios on start up and select which to boot from first.

you don't need a new hdd, you have a 120GB one? that's plenty of space. my XP home takes up 7GB. just create a new partition of your harddrive. no need to buy a new one

Okay, but I thought I heard that XP writes over everything on the drive? Or do I need to make the partition first, and then install XP to it?

Thanks,
~Greg

Greg said:
Okay, but is it possible to choose which one to boot from using GRUB or something so I dont have to disconnect one everytime I want to use it?

Install XP on the harddrive (in a seperate partition or drive)

Reinstall LILO / GRUB on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom