Second Hard Drive Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyG

Beta member
Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums so I thought I'd just say hello to you guys first!

I currently have a decent mid-upper range computer:
Intel E6750 2.66GhZ C2D
4gig Ram
8800GTS 512
700W OCZ

As of now I have a 250GB hard drive, and I am going to start the dive into computer programming. Since Linux is widely considered the best programmers OS, i wanted to install that, while keeping my Windows Vista OS.
Since two OS's would somewhat cram my harddrive, I was wondering if I would be able to install a second hard drive and just put Linux on there. If I could do this, would I also be able to switch back and forth?

-Thanks for the help.

Also, should I look at upgrading my CPU/Ram for programming at all?

Alright thanks! Then I plan on putting another 250GB in there...
what type of connector do i need to link the two hard drives together?

Hi and welcome :)

Yes you can switch back and forth either via grub bootloader and restarting the pc or through virtualisation which allows you to run both OS environments at the same time. I would also partition your new drive into around 60gb partitions so that you can run multiple distros as they are all quite different and intriguing. Maryan linux is a good one to trial the different environments as it contains 4 of the fastest lightweight designs and ubuntu or fedora are the big shot favourites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom