Scsi Hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

grkbar

In Runtime
I was going to upgrade my extremely out-dated HD from a maxtor 5400rpm 78gb ide drive to a western digital raptor x. However, I saw that some scsi drives are now available. What is the difference between scsi and sata drives and which would you recommend for the money?

SCSI (sky-see) drives require a driver card if you are talking about using them in a normal desktop, as they are not native to standard computers. They are (or used to be) very expensive for the capacity when compared to standard hard drives. Of course, a Raptor is not a standard hard drive, though.

If you could get a scsi drive or two and the driver card cheap enough to make it feasible, it would definitely scream. to me, though, I would put a couple of Seagate 7200.11 drives in a RAID0. Killer speed (almost a Raptor), more capacity, and cheaper to boot. But if your current mobo doesn't support RAID and/or SATA, you would have to get a card for it as well.

sky-see? skuzzy mang. Just get a good 7200rpm drive, is a 2 second faster boot really worth paying double or tripple the price of a 500gb or 750gb drive. Raptors tend to be 2bucks per GB while most regular drives are around 25c per gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom