SCSI Drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Ok, so I am helping a friend out with her computer....... The summary of what happened is that her motherboard and/or CPU fried..... So, we replaced them (from P4 to AMD Socket 754).

Upon initial boot after the hardware swap, windows was throwing a BSOD while loading (expected this)... Tried to re-install the OS, and it was being a pain, and wouldn't install correctly. I suspect that the motherboard isn't picking up the SCSI card correctly.

I took out the SCSI card (running a 16 Gig HDD with the OS on it, and a 34 Gig HDD with her files on it). I put in a 20 Gig IDE HDD I had laying around, and successfully installed the OS, and the computer is working fine.

Now, when I go to put the SCSI card (adaptec card) back in with the drives attached, it uses the SCSI drives as first boot devices. I want to just take the loss on the 20 Gig IDE drive (eh, its a Western Digital drive, and anyone here that has seen my drive recomendations knows I only use Seagate drives now), but it won't work if it can't load the OS.

Anyone know how I can force the SCSI drives to be slaves? I have checked both the BIOS & SCSI card BIOS options, and can't find anything... Tomorrow I will see if there are jumpers I can set.

I'm not sure I can help, I have scsi drives on an adaptec card and previously i've booted from one of the scsi drives but now I boot from a raptor.

Setting it up was simple, although the easiest way to install the os on the the scsi drive was to remove the sata drive completely first.

On my system all I have to do is change the boot order in bios. N0w this may sound cheeky but I kind of suspect that you're not setting up the boot order correctly... thats the only thing I can think of. if its an old pata drive you're trying to boot from then try using all of the ide numbers as primary boot in turn to make sure you're pointing to the right drive; if its a sata drive then you may need to change the scsi boot controller from the adaptec to the sata (sata controlers are often recognised as scsi controllers).

Beyond that what you're doing should work.

P.S. dont change any jumpers, i'm sure you're aware the jumpers on the scsi drives will be setting the scsi ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom