SATA3, RAID, and SSD :- Stupid Question

MrCoffee

Fully Optimized
I've recently installed an OCZ Agility 3 SSD as my main system drive, migrating the OS across was a nightmare but that is done now.

However, the drive is currently running on a SATA2 controller, my mobo doe have a SATA3 controller so naturally I want to swap it over to that. THe tricky part is that the SATA3 controller has 2 ports which are currently occupied by a RAID 1 setup, with just under 1TB of important data on the array. I have a third SATA2 controller on the board which supports RAID1.

So the question is: is there an easy way to migrate the RAID1 setup from the SATA3 controller to the SATA2 controller, so that I can put the SSD on the SATA3 controller... without losing the data on the array?

I'm pretty sure that the answer is: "No dumb ass, you need to copy the data off the array, rebuild the array on the SATA2 controller, then copy the data back".
This I can do, I have a 1TB HDD sitting around which should comfortably take the data... but I imagine transferring the data back and forth will take forever.

The motherboard is a GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 1.0 and this is the storage interface specification:

South Bridge:
6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

Marvell 9128 chip:
2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, and RAID 1

* SATA3 RAID 0 4x and SATA3 2x performance are maximum theoretical values. Actual performance may vary by system configuration.
* SATA3 SSDs are not recommended for use in RAID 0 mode on Marvell SE9128 ports.

GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:
1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_8, GSATA2_9) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD

JMicron JMB362 chip:
2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors (eSATA/USB Combo) on the back panel sup- porting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD

iTE IT8720 chip:
1 x floppy disk drive connector supporting up to 1 floppy disk drive

I'm pretty positive there is a way without file transfer, but just be smart and take the data and put it on the other drive and rebuild the array. If it's really important I wouldn't want to risk my data while I goof off trying things. Copying 1TB of data should only take 1.5-2 hours at max speed.

Back
Top Bottom