SATA vs IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

roryscott2

Beta member
Greetings to everyone. My question could be a rather research intensive one. My current setup on my computer is:

THE STATS

Intel P4 2.4Ghz 400Mhz FSB
Aopen Motherboard ( I actually forgot the model number)
512MB RDRAM (I know stupid move right)
Radeon 9200 64MB AGP
Creative Labs Audigy Sound Card
80GB 7200RPM IDE Western Digital (No cache, nor any type of special edition)
Plextor 52x CD Burner
Sony DVD 16x Player
All in a big yellow box.

THE BACKGROUND

I am currently trying to upgrade, but my wallet, and so many emerging technology are holding me back. My DVD Player recently burned out, so I replaced it with the new HP 740i DVD Burner with Lightscribe. Now that I have the capability to keep all of my friends DVDs, I dont have a place to store them. with only 8GB left on my HD. The big problem with upgrades, is so much of my hardware is out of date, to change one thing, almost means building a new system.

THE QUESTION

I would like my new system to be all SATA, and I dont want to waste any money. My current system doesnt support SATA, so is there a hard drive I could buy that will work in my old system, and still be a nice fit for my new system? I would prefer it to be SATA, but if IDE doesnt run too slow in the new system, I guess I can go with that.

I am open to all responses, I would like to hear everyones opinion. Thanks for the help.

R.

I'd say don't get any new hard drive for that old computer; it's doomed to die, with AGP and RDRAM. =/ I had RDRAM in my old Dell, though. It was decent - just expensive ..

That SATA controller is a good idea, but it will be useless once you get your new system, and that's $50 down the drain. I'd say just wait for the new system. If you MUST have more storage space now, get an external one or an IDE. External Edge GoDisks have $40 rebates on newegg right now. =D

I guess I'd get an IDE drive. The speed increase just isn't there. The hard drive can't read as fast as SATA connections can move the information.

Ryan

personally, if i was goign to get a new system soon, i would jus get an external just simply because its easier to transfer info to your friend computer possibly and it just seems like a more practicle move to me, but then again im not that smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom