SATA/SATA2 RAID 0/RAID 1, help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blolodyfinger

Baseband Member
Ok, buying a new cpu here. Just wondering what is the best thing to get? I'm doing research and kinda understand raid 1/ raid 0, but I'm still a little clueless on the whole sata/sata2 thing.... what should I really be getting for an awesome gaming setup? Right now I'm getting the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive. But I'm only getting one. Should/can I get two and put them in a raid 0 configuration? Would it make that big a difference? Do I need any extra components to do this? Help? Thanks!!

Ok, SATA 150 and SATA2 are the same thing, but SATA2 has faster transfer speeds. SATA2 HDD's are backwards compatible with SATA150, but they will run at SATA150 speeds. A SATA150 HDD cannot be used on a SATA2 board.

RAID 0 is when two or more HDD's are recognized as one big HDD in Windows XP. They interlace the data between the two HDD's. Here's how it works:

HDD 1 holds file A
HDD 2 holds file B
HDD 1 holds file C
HDD 2 holds file D

Like that. This way is the faster of the two. The catch is: if one HDD fails, all data is lost.

RAID 1 is where you have two or more HDD's shown as one in Windows XP. The difference is, only one HDD is used, and the other is an exact copy of the first. This is the safer way, but is only as fast as one HDD is.

In a nutshell; RAID 0 is faster, but not as safe (in terms of data loss) and RAID 1 is slower, but safer.

If your budget allows you to, I would get two of those HDD's. Though, if you can only afford one, you can always pick up another one later on. You won't be dissappointed with the speed of a SATA2 HDD anyway.

By the way, make sure the motherboard you buy is compatible with SATA2.

I hope this long *** post made some sense.

Ok, if I get 2 of them, do I need anything to make them run in a Raid 0 configuration other than more cables? Isn't there something called a raid controller? Also, are two SATA2 harddrives faster running in Raid 0 than two SATA150 harddrives running in raid 0, or does raid negate all speed differences?

CrazeD said:
A SATA150 HDD can be used on a SATA2 board.

RAID 0 is when two or more HDD's are recognized as one big HDD by the operating system.

RAID 1 is where you have two or more HDD's shown as one by the operating system.

I hope this long *** post made some sense.

Now it does. :)

Blolodyfinger said:
Ok, if I get 2 of them, do I need anything to make them run in a Raid 0 configuration other than more cables? Isn't there something called a raid controller? Also, are two SATA2 harddrives faster running in Raid 0 than two SATA150 harddrives running in raid 0, or does raid negate all speed differences?

If your motherboard is not from Dell, HP, etc. then it probably has a built-in RAID controller. Check your manual. If not, then you'd have to get a PCI RAID controller, or you could just use a software RAID.

Only RAID 0 increases performance. It is argued that RAID 5 increases read speed, but I haven't seen any performance increase at work when we changed from RAID 0 to RAID 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom