SATA question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vybuni

Daemon Poster
I am thinking about buying a new system, but I want to know how much a SATAII hard drive will boost the performance from an IDE hard drive. Is it a very noticible difference?

SATA II can go up to speeds of 3GB/s transfer rate, so it is a significant increase if you get the right one.

So if I get a SATA drive, then I could notice a large increase in the performance of my system?

Not a large increase in performence in speed, like running games, thats more of a CPU/GPU thing. SATA goes faster (And SATA 2 goes even faster) if you are transferring from drive to drive. Unless you are getting more than one drive, then its better to just get standard SATA.

sata2 allows for higher bandwidth, and ncq. To me, it sounds like sata2 for now is a gimmick, because even in the older sata, and even pata, no drive could utilise the full bandwidth, and drive mechanics are governed by physics. Take a look at wd raptor, which spins at 10K rpm, and that is at the sata1 specs. Either drives get faster, which is mechanically very challenging to remain precise, or the platters get denser. Dense platters, mean that more data can be transferred at the same rpm. Ncq, is another story, seagate sata1 drives have been utilising this in quite a number of there drives, and providing you have support in the mobo chipset then you can take advantage.

So to answer the question, sata2 is something that should last theoretically for quite a few years (that is my opinion) until solid state devices or some other more efficient way to store data, but i wouldn't bother with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom