SATA II Motherboard and SATA III HDD compatibility

dwright

Baseband Member
I am looking at the buying this motherboard:
Asus KGPE-D16 Server Motherboard - 90-MSVD01-G0UAY00Z - Scan.co.uk

and this HDD:
Seagate 1TB SATA 3 Performance Hard Drive OEM ST1000DM003 - ST1000DM003 - Scan.co.uk

Under the tech spec. of the mobo (towards the bottom of the page) it lists it as "SATA II - 3Gb/s". I assume this means it won't support faster speeds of SATA III, though will the HDD still work properly on this motherboard?

I could just buy an older, SATA II motherboard, but they are a fair bit more expensive than SATA III and it makes sense to have the newer technology if it will work?

Thanks. Why are SATA III HDD's much cheaper than SATA II HDD's? You could understand it, if it were the case that a SATA III HDD was not compatible with a SATA II motherboard as there would still be a demand for a SATA II HDD. As that's not the case, surely everyone is buying SATA III HDD's now, which should drive the price up?

Is there a disadvantage of buying SATA III HDD's over SATA II HDD's that I am missing?

Because SATAii is old tech and not being produced anymore. It's the same reason that DDR2 is expensive and ddr3 isn't anymore.

Running sata3 on a sata2 board will just limit the speed to what the board can handle, limiting you a bit, but doubtfully enough to matter.

Back
Top Bottom