SATA hard drive showing up in taskbar as removable disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesean

Baseband Member
Did I set something up wrong in the bios? I'm using a DVD ROM on IDE primary and a burner on IDE secondary ribbons, the H.D. is connected to SATA 1.

Nope. You haven't done anything wrong. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's removable in the taskbar because the drive itself is hot swappable. Meaning, as long as it is removed via Windows, then it can be physically removed while the computer is turned on.

my computer did something similar to this.
I had a-----
1xIDE cd rom drive + 1xIDE hard drive + 1xSATA hard drive
and the two IDE drives switched.....

Whenever i tried to access drive D it would try to access my Cd-rom drive.. wat do u suggest me do.. i already tried switching my drives and i jus got even more errors... my bios would not recognise either.. so i switched em back

I had this, and I had to format (second time that day as I installed the IDE drivers - big mistake.) and it was gone after the format. If it bothers you try to do this.

Alex, the d drive probably was your cd drive is why it did that. Go into computer management (right click my computer click manage) go to drive management and look at your hard drives, there's probably an unformatted drive there, which is your sata drive. You can then format it and it will then get a drive letter.

If its not showing up in there or anywhere then make sure your sata support in the bios is on.

I have two DVD drives main and slave on the IDE secondary (my primary IDE is still free waiting for me to install more staorage drives) and two SATA drives on 1 and 2. Have not had this experience.

Elbatrop1 said:
Nope. You haven't done anything wrong. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's removable in the taskbar because the drive itself is hot swappable. Meaning, as long as it is removed via Windows, then it can be physically removed while the computer is turned on.

Correct. Only on Windows XP.

It's supposed to show up. But, I've tried removing it just to see what happens and Windows won't allow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom