Is it safe to add more RAM to a live WinXP install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seria

PC Cutie ^_^
Hey guys, I have a quick question.
I cannot remember if its safe to add more RAM to a live WinXP box.
Will I have to OSRI after adding more RAM?

PC:
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
512MB (i'll be adding another 512 stick)
WinXP Pro

thanks ^_^

what do you mean livexp box?? as in.. the computer is still on.. cuz yes, yes it is bad..

if u can turn it off... then no, there is no problem with adding more ram at all

If you try and pull out the ram whilst its running you can get sparks and a loud screeching noise its quite fun use to do it an old dell as a sadist act. You can add ram without a reinstall of windows the only time you need to reinstall windows is if you change the motherboard and occasionally with the cpu. This is due to chipset changes and driver conflicts if your lucky like I have been you can still run xp after a mobo/cpu change but I reinstalled just for safe measure.

If you want another fun and deadly thing to do get a power pack like they have in schools set it to its highest settings and attach it to some graphite rods via crocodile clips (pencil with the wood removed works well). You have just made a massive sparkler and if held together for a long amount of time they fuse together not really sure how as it takes a temperature of over 3500 degrees to melt graphite but it happened.

You can make a super heated wire cutter by adapting a motherboard 24pin off of a psu and some wire with quite a large gauge then attach the negative and positive to the ends of the wire making one slidable. As you move then ends closer the wire will get hotter because of electron density and concentration of energy on a non insulated wire. Burns through pretty much anything and gives lovely straight lines if your hands are steady I sometimes use it to cut wood as a saw is way to boring.

If you want another fun and deadly thing to do get a power pack like they have in schools set it to its highest settings and attach it to some graphite rods via crocodile clips (pencil with the wood removed works well). You have just made a massive sparkler and if held together for a long amount of time they fuse together not really sure how as it takes a temperature of over 3500 degrees to melt graphite but it happened.

You can make a super heated wire cutter by adapting a motherboard 24pin off of a psu and some wire with quite a large gauge then attach the negative and positive to the ends of the wire making one slidable. As you move then ends closer the wire will get hotter because of electron density and concentration of energy on a non insulated wire. Burns through pretty much anything and gives lovely straight lines if your hands are steady I sometimes use it to cut wood as a saw is way to boring.

I'm not going to lie when i say i just wet myself laughing.

The scary thing is its the truth, I just have a fascination with engineering things and hence the super heated wire device. The graphite was discovered whilst bored in a chemistry class when we were electrolysing an ionic compound and I have always had a fascination with misuse of electricity.

HAHAHAHA no, I was not meaning that the computer was still on. lol

I meant "Live XP install" as: "a functioning install of windows"

Will I have to re-install windows after adding a new stick of ram?
Will windows freak out? or will everything be fine?

lol ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom