s939 Opteron + Server Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyZ

Daemon Poster
Ok so the new thing is the Opteron processors, they now make them for Socket 939. Yet i am totally confuse how to class them.

I am currently building a server computer, please read my situation before telling me to get a S940 mobo.

Ok the only SPARE computer I have is a Celeron 900MHZ laptop, and a older socket A computer running a 3200 barton.

I am actually upgrading my current mobo to a DFI or MSI one, giving me a spare S939 mobo. The thing is I can either sell this peice of crap for way lower than what I bought it for or actually use it for something.

I know opterons were built for servers, and since I want to run a server I was thinking of buying a good opteron processor and using it for my server.

My question is wether the speed of the processor really effects the speed of the server, if I OCed the Opteron would it really make a difference? I think i am going to have about 2-3GB of ram.

Also my ISP only supports like 250KBS of upload so do I really need a expensive CPU.

My last question is which Opteron processor core (s939) is the best? Which would be the best one to get in my situation?

I am probably only going to use my server for file uploading.

"Opterons are built for servers" is a common misconception and nothing more than a myth...there are numerous different types of servers which experience different types of loads

Opterons are built and tested more extensively than Athlons for stability purposes, therefore they are marketed as heavy load workstation or server CPUs...the key phrase being heavy load. Opterons are built for CPU intensive tasks in which your processor will be under 100% load for very long durations, therefore Opterons are ideal choices for enviroments such as professional audio and video recording studios, or for use in high traffic webservers or a very large corporate LAN client server

Assuming you are using a *nux kernal, you won't need anywhere near an Opteron to run a file server...you could use a Pentium 2 or K6 by all means

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom