running two harddrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

hail.

Beta member
Lots of people are telling me that I should run one hard drive for my OS and one for all of my programs. My two hard drives:

160GB 7200RPM SATA2
80GB 7200RPM ATA-133

My question is which hard drive should I use for my OS and which should I use for everything else

welcometotf3dj1.jpg

Usually it's one hard drive for the OS and applications, and the other for storage of music, games, pictures, and what not. So you should use the 160GB for storage, and the 80GB for OS and applications, or programs. Generally the bigger partition or hard drive is used for storage. Or since your 160GB is an SATA2 drive, maybe that should be for OS and programs. It will load a little faster, but you'd probably won't notice.

I would run the SATA drive for your OS and the ATA for your Storage in most situations, but since you're SATA is the larger of the two I would suggest using it for the storage and the ATA for the OS. I have found the best way to run 2 HDD's though is in RAID 0 configuration, but you would need another 160GB SATA for that.

Reasoning behind using a different drive for OS is lots of people, myself included reinstall on a fairly regular basis. Its just easier to reinstall windows sometimes than to try to figure out what piece of crap spyware/adware got in when you werent looking and how to get rid of it :p

Reasoning behind using a different drive for OS is lots of people, myself included reinstall on a fairly regular basis. Its just easier to reinstall windows sometimes than to try to figure out what piece of crap spyware/adware got in when you werent looking and how to get rid of it :p

You can always create Partitions in the setup process.

Does the 160GB SATA drive have 8MB cache or 16mb? If it's 16mb, install the OS on that. You WILL notice a difference with Windows load times.

If you need the 160GB drive for storage, just create a small (~8GB) partition on your SATA drive for Windows, and the rest for storage. Then you just install your apps on the 80GB.

what im doing right now is i have three hd's
250, 160, and a 40. i have xp with all my progs on the 250, stroage on the 160, and xp with the very basic programs (antivirus, drivers ect) on the 40. if my 250 ever has something happen to it, while im trying to fix it, i can just boot from the 40 and be off clean. I just got the 40 off some computer i ripped apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom