Running DDR3 memory on P45 chipset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vortex2450

Baseband Member
It's been a while since I've been on but I am running my water cooled rig @ 4.05 GHz daily (E8400 9x450MHz). I am Burn test stable but it seems that my outdated OCZ DDR2 PC6400 RAM has become a bottle neck. I can run small FTT's through prime 95 all day long and temps are a solid 54C 50C on cores 1 & 2 respectively, obviously I have plenty of push room temperature wise and I know my motherboard is very capable, which is why I chose it a while ago. BUt as soon as I choose blent test at these speeds at least one of the workers will fail within a minute, It's frustrating because my e8400 is just asking for more and my xfired 5770s are cramped. So it's time for an upgrade.

My Motherboard ( Gigabyte UD3P-EP45) claims support for up to DDR2 1366... weird number but whatever. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I can use a high rated DDR3 set and just down clock it correct? I mean isn't DDR3 just a prefix for a category of spec rather than physical differences? Anyways, I need ram that can handle me pushing bus speeds over 500MHz.

Anyone wanna shoot some suggestions @ me? I'd like a 4gb set (2x2gb) for under $60 but being as everything else is up to par it if takes more to secure acceptable ram then so be it.. I'm sure given the constantly changing cmputer market I should definitely be able to find some great RAM for my needs but figured it can't hurt to ask ..

I wouldn't usually ask for help but I'm rusty, my mind has been all about cars for the past year.

Thanks..

You cannot use DDR3 RAM in DDR2 slots - it's not just a difference in voltage/hertz/etc. While they physically have the same number of pins, and (I believe) fit in the same slot, DDR3 won't work in DDR2 slots and vice-versa.

I also have an OCd E8400, which until last week was at 4.01GHz (on a fanless heatsink). Out of curiosity, what voltage are you running it at? Same for RAM and FSB.

I downclocked mine back down to 3.6GHz @ 1.2375V. FSB is 1.3V, and RAM is 1.875V
I really wish I'd written down my 4GHz voltages etc. :-|

Actually, they won't even fit in the same slot, as the notch is at difference spots:
ddr3-vs-ddr2-ram.jpg

You cannot use DDR3 RAM in DDR2 slots - it's not just a difference in voltage/hertz/etc. While they physically have the same number of pins, and (I believe) fit in the same slot, DDR3 won't work in DDR2 slots and vice-versa.

I also have an OCd E8400, which until last week was at 4.01GHz (on a fanless heatsink). Out of curiosity, what voltage are you running it at? Same for RAM and FSB.

I downclocked mine back down to 3.6GHz @ 1.2375V. FSB is 1.3V, and RAM is 1.875V

I really wish I'd written down my 4GHz voltages etc. :-|

Thanks, like I said it's been way too long, I miss getting my geek on, haha. I'm probably just going to grab some DDR2 1066 with known overclocking capability and strong latency speeds and call it a day.

To be honest I haven't been rambling around in my BIOS for too long so I can't be sure, I do know that when I was trying to find a stable table of values I spent days playing with everything before I got it right.

At a glance CPU-Z is telling me 1.312v core voltage (under < %5 load) , so I believe I have it set somewhere near 1.3375v in BIOS, my FSB volatge is probably whatever the motherboard chose for it because i remember it being fussy when I messed with it. My RAM is @ 2.0125v over clocked to 900mhz.

With that said those voltages are for stability so I rounded them up. I've been running this for at least a year in this state with no blue screens to thinkg of besides those which I caused trying to squeeze my gfx cards..

Hope that helps...

Looking at that picture it obvious and I feel so newbish at this point. I can't wait to get some more capable RAM. Does anyone have suggestions? I know this forum is absolutely notorious for people spitting out good suggestions (at least last time I was online) so I figured someone will know what I need and be on point.

Thanks,
Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom