router help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I have two pc's and a lap top at home. I am in need of a wireless router. Is there a difference between these two netgear routers, other than the transfer rate?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16833122016

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16833122011

I am new with wireless network. I have built a few wired networks, they are much simplier. But the two pc's i plan on connecting by cat5e, and the lap top by the wireless. Is this everything I need? Can I also connect to other wireless networks with this router?

Thanks for any help.

The first one is only 802.11b, so it will only transfer data wirelessly at a max of 11Mbps. The second is 802.11g/b So if you have an 802.11g capable card, it will wirelessly transfer data at a max of 54Mbps, but the second is capable of supporting B and G cards . Both routers will transfer on wired lines at 10/100Mbps. In addition to the router, your going to need a Wireless network card for you laptop, if thats the only computer your going to use wirelessly. The card is what connects you to the networks, not the router. And yes, you should be able to connect to other networks with a wireless card, assuming the owner of the network allows you access, and supports the card your using. Hope that helps

THe lap top already has built in wireless access. I already knew everything else. I guess I will go with the g/b Router. Just one last thing I want cleared up is, will I be able to connect with this router to another wireless network, like my neighbor's at college?

I have neven tried to connect a wireless router with another router. I dont know if the build them with an uplink port. Although I have a Linksys Wired Router, that doesn't have a specified uplink port, but I am still able to connect it to other routers. Usually the last port in the line is the uplink port, sometimes the port marked Internet is the uplink. But I don't know if it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom