Roughly 1 k budget, new computer =).

Zarth

Solid State Member
Hello Everyone or anyone that looks!
I've had my computer for about.. five years now. It has an HD 4850in it now and while it was a fairly solid machine then, it seems to be lacking a bit now.
The only thing i've needed to upgrade in it was the hard drive since i'm a fairly patient guy and can wait for load times =).
But recent money has me wanting to upgrade! I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to these things but i wanted a few other
opinions on exactly what to get to help refine what i had thrown together last minute. Now there's a few things i don't need, as my currents are just fine.
Those include:
A mouse & keyboard.
A monitor.
An operating system(Already have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit)

Which mainly leads me to needed the case and everything inside of it =)

Now i've put together something on Newegg.com (Because they're awesome) And it might run me near 1000$. Therefore, that is my rough estimate of a budget. (Less is better!)
If you have a build already in mind that would run me even less money for more or less the same output, well. You know.
Before you even look at what i have together feel free to post whatever it is you think is best, the more opinions the better!
(Think cost effective =) )
As a side note. I don't care whether it's AMD or intel. though i know AMD is more cost effective.
I put this together in a few minutes while waiting for a college class to start so.. bare with me.

CASE:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior
It's the HAF 922, incase you don't feel like looking.

MOTHERBOARD:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

VIDEO CARD:
Newegg.com - MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
MSI 570.

POWER SUPPLY:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Now i know i shouldn't need 800 watts but it was pretty cheap whenever i looked at it. also, i do not care if it's modular.

PROCESSOR:
Newegg.com - AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX
Friend has it and i've seen him overclock with decent cooling pretty well. looked like a good buy for the amount it costs.

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
G-skill because they are boss. Decent timings. =)

Hard drive:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Don't need all that much space. If one you know of runs quicker with 1TB or more Please inform me!

CD Drive:
Newegg.com - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners
Cheap, reliable, and i don't care much for burning blu-ray's. =)

Well i believe that's it. If you guys have anything to add/change. I'm not sure what cooling i'm going to go with so any suggestions with that would be great, as i'm new to anything but stock :p.
Also i believe i'll need some extra cables somewhere.. If someone could take a look that'd be great =)

FORGOT TO ADD.
I'm going into a computer science degree. SO i'll be doing a little modeling.
Along with gaming.
Pretty much every MMO.
Wow
Guild wars 2(When it comes out!!)
Star wars,
Diablo 3,
LoL.
Fallout 3 and NV

Most of which run Okay on my current machine. Just need a little more Umph!
Thanks guys!
--Zarth

I had looked at intel but i wasn't too sure if the Ivy bridges were worth it atm. I know they are quick but a little more pricey than the FX :p. But if i was going to go intel, would the sandy bridge be better? I've seen debates for both sides im not sure which to believe. o_O.

PS. I enjoy that you found a deal but that motherboard looks iffy.. A ton of people having boot issues on just about every site, not just newegg.

How about this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131831
Along with the 3570k.

Another question, why the 3570k and not say, a 2500, 2600, or 2700k. ? Is ivy bridge that much better?

I had looked at intel but i wasn't too sure if the Ivy bridges were worth it atm. I know they are quick but a little more pricey than the FX :p. But if i was going to go intel, would the sandy bridge be better? I've seen debates for both sides im not sure which to believe. o_O.
Any rig I try to recommend any of Intel's latest CPUs because they simply blow AMDs FX solutions out the water.
If you plan to stay stock around there then Ivy Bridge is the way to go hands down.

Yeah i just ran across some numbers and was no longer considering the FX any longer, you are correct. If i wanted to overclock a bit which CPU would you suggest and maybe a good cooling fan you know of?
As far as i know, the Ivy bridges were an architecture update, not really too much in terms of speed...

Yeah i just ran across some numbers and was no longer considering the FX any longer, you are correct. If i wanted to overclock a bit which CPU would you suggest and maybe a good cooling fan you know of?
As far as i know, the Ivy bridges were an architecture update, not really too much in terms of speed...
The 3770k is about 10-12% faster stock for stock against the 2600k. Architecture updates generally bring more speed when we aren't talking about camp AMD :p

Like I said, if you plan to stay around stock then Ivy Bridge is the way to go. 4-4.5ghz would be easily achievable on anything like an H80.

liquid cooling scares the hell out of me. I'll probably just keep it stock for a while and see how things go, if need be ill get some extra cooling :p
Apologies for all the questions But i find myself bored after midnight =).
Two more, if you would permit.
1. how much difference would i see between the 3570k and the 3770k. (i5 and i7)
2. Would it be worth it to bump up to the GTX 670 instead of the 570? I've seen benchmarks and the 570 is only a few down the list.. how much would that effect me?
Thanks!
--Zarth

liquid cooling scares the hell out of me. I'll probably just keep it stock for a while and see how things go, if need be ill get some extra cooling :p
Apologies for all the questions But i find myself bored after midnight =).
Two more, if you would permit.
1. how much difference would i see between the 3570k and the 3770k. (i5 and i7)
2. Would it be worth it to bump up to the GTX 670 instead of the 570? I've seen benchmarks and the 570 is only a few down the list.. how much would that effect me?
Thanks!
--Zarth
They are closed loops that can't leak unless you do something extremely stupid with the tubes. Honestly, after having a custom loop 3 times before I don't even consider the H series "liquid" cooling.

1. Depends on the actual tasks at hand. If they will truly take advantage of 100% of the CPU then the 3770. Light multi-threaded apps and games the 3570k would be best. Of course if budget permits, just go with the i7.
2. The 670 is more powerful than the 580 so if budget permits, get the 670.

Back
Top Bottom