a rock and a hard place - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2
Default a rock and a hard place

hey guys, I'm currently running a way out of date intel mobo with a celeron 2.6 processor. It's so old I've got PC133 ram in it with only a 400MHz FSB on the cpu.

I have this extra p4 3.0E HT on hand, but it needs an 800MHz FSB socket 478 mobo to run--my current mobo is a crap intel that I can't overclock through the bios.

I'm wondering what my best bet is -- buy a nice and cheap board which can run the p4, or try and go with an upgraded socket 775 and go for a cheap PD or something or even an amd processor? Either way I'l have to buy all new ram, and honestly, I'm willing to stick with an AGP board so i can still use my kick *** XFX 6800 Xtreme. I want to keep the complete upgrade under 200 bucks. What do I do?

Thanks in advance, guys.

GlumBum2 is offline  
Old 08-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
I poop on the rug
NosBoost300's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bellflower, CA
Posts: 10,218

just get a new motherboard for about 80 or 90, and new ddr500 ram for 90 bucks, overclocking happiness!

Current Build:
Intel 8700k | 16GB G.skill Trident Z | Z370 Gigabyte Auros Gaming Extreme |
Asus GTX1080 Strix | Corsair H100i V2 | Corsair 750D | Corsair RM850X
NosBoost300 is offline  
Old 08-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2

Yeh I was thinking about getting this board and spending around 100 bucks on a good gig of ddr400 from OCZ or someone reputable.

I just want to know that that board is overclockable and accesible--I also want to be able to run vista and everything real well.

hopefully the darn thing won't be a waste--I've already thrown in several hundred dollars overhauling my system and now I've peaked out its performance. I really want to utilize this P4 and I dont want to have to spend a lot more money. To be honest, I've probably busted almost 1000$ just pulling everything else in the PC up and now I've really got to just upgrade the board.

I can't decide whether to wait even longer or to go for it now. I don't want the use and the availability of p4 s478 boards to drop before I actualy have the currency to make it happen.
GlumBum2 is offline  
Old 08-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
macdawg's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 813

i'd go with either of these motherboards to use you P4 and 6800




buy a gig of low latency pc 3200 and add another gig when your ready

macdawg is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.