a rock and a hard place - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default a rock and a hard place

hey guys, I'm currently running a way out of date intel mobo with a celeron 2.6 processor. It's so old I've got PC133 ram in it with only a 400MHz FSB on the cpu.

I have this extra p4 3.0E HT on hand, but it needs an 800MHz FSB socket 478 mobo to run--my current mobo is a crap intel that I can't overclock through the bios.

I'm wondering what my best bet is -- buy a nice and cheap board which can run the p4, or try and go with an upgraded socket 775 and go for a cheap PD or something or even an amd processor? Either way I'l have to buy all new ram, and honestly, I'm willing to stick with an AGP board so i can still use my kick *** XFX 6800 Xtreme. I want to keep the complete upgrade under 200 bucks. What do I do?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!
Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300

just get a new motherboard for about 80 or 90, and new ddr500 ram for 90 bucks, overclocking happiness!

Current Build:
Intel 3770k @ 4.4 GHZ | Galaxy GTX 770 SLi | 16 GB G.Skill Sniper | ASrock z77 Extreme4
2xSamung 840pro 128GB in Raid | 2x1TB Seagate | Antec 750 Watt GamerSeries
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
Old 08-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeh I was thinking about getting this board and spending around 100 bucks on a good gig of ddr400 from OCZ or someone reputable.

I just want to know that that board is overclockable and accesible--I also want to be able to run vista and everything real well.

hopefully the darn thing won't be a waste--I've already thrown in several hundred dollars overhauling my system and now I've peaked out its performance. I really want to utilize this P4 and I dont want to have to spend a lot more money. To be honest, I've probably busted almost 1000$ just pulling everything else in the PC up and now I've really got to just upgrade the board.

I can't decide whether to wait even longer or to go for it now. I don't want the use and the availability of p4 s478 boards to drop before I actualy have the currency to make it happen.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

i'd go with either of these motherboards to use you P4 and 6800

buy a gig of low latency pc 3200 and add another gig when your ready

Closed Thread